PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Hotcam tuning suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013 | 05:27 PM
Teching In

Default Hotcam tuning suggestions

So I'm very new to HP Tuners, but so far with my Hotcam I've done the following (which I found here from another user):

RPM limiter raised to 6500

Added 100RPM with A/C turned on.

Misfire detection tables; idle by cyl, low rpm, low rpm by cyl
all fields set to 32000

IAC park position temp 20c and higher set to 21 (help initial startup of car)

Added 3 degrees timing in High Octane Table from .6 g/cyl and up
at 3600 rpms and up

Fuel --> Main VE Table: Multiply column 400 rpm by 60. Multiply column 800 by 80. Multiply column 1200 by 90.

So far, these changes have worked out well. The only real issue I had with the cam prior to tuning was it would dip down to 200 RPM upon warm start, and hunt for about 10 seconds before settling at 800 RPM. After the above changes, I no longer have this problem. The car seems to run strong, but I'm sure without making any changes to the VE tables or anywhere else (with the exception idle RPM's and timing above 3600 RPM) that there is more to be had from this cam. Does anyone have any suggestions on what could be changed? My details are in my signature. Thanks a ton!!

p.s., I've done a search on this, but with the exception of the above changes, all I've found is people ******* on the Hotcam. Hate on it if you like, but it doesn't change the fact that I have it and would like to maximize its potential.
Old 11-25-2013 | 06:59 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

Tune your maf and ve table.
Old 11-25-2013 | 11:28 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the response! Do you by chance have any suggestions on what adjustments should be made to these tables? I'm weary of damaging anything, and I have done extensive reading about the topic, but what I've found is mostly very broad regarding how the figures in these tables work, but not so much geared towards a tame cam such as the hotcam.
Old 11-26-2013 | 08:13 AM
TECH Addict
10 Year Member

http://www.performancetrucks.net/for...-guide-346549/ http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ghlight=tuning http://4moores.com/280z/files/HP%20T...uctions.pdfMAF

Maf tuning is quite easy. Here's how I do it:

1. Open your file in the editor and turn off the LTFT's in the Engine > Open/Closed Loop tab. Either select the Enable/Disable switch or set the Min Temp to Enable to 283F or do both if you wish.
A. Save this file as Rev 1x.hpt or whatever you like. Just make sure it's a different file name and don't write over your stock file!!!
2. Program the cal to the PCM using "Write Calibration Only"
3. Turn on the key, open the scanner, start scanning and open the "VCM Controls"
A. Go to the "Fuel & Spark" tab and press "Reset Fuel Trims" to clear out any LTFT's that were stored.
B. stop scanning - no point in logging a non-running engine.
C. Go to the MAF - STFT histogram(s) and then click on the [C] for cell counts.
D. Restart scanning.
4. Start the car & drive. Try to overlap MAF regions with different RPM's so that you get a very good average with different RPMs.
5. When you have at least 100+ hits (I shoot for 150+) in all of the lower Hz (below 4500 Hz) and tapering down in hit counts above 4500 Hz. I generally don't like hit counts with STFT's below 20.

Note: You can usually get to 6600 Hz without tripping PE fueling but my config filters out those PE fueling hits anyway.

6. Once the data is aquired, click the [A] for [A]verage STFT, select the entire MAF -STFT Filt5 histogram and copy all the data from there (Control - C).
7. Open the editor with your current file and go to the MAF table under Engine > Airflow.
8. Select the entire MAF table and right click, Paste - Special Multiply %
9. Save as a new file (Rev 1b.hpt etc...)
10. Write to the PCM with a Write Calibration Only.
11. Repeat as necessary until the error is in the +/- 1-2% range.

Now you have tuned your MAF! Enjoy the ride.

LTFT (VE) TUNING

First off, unplug your Maf sensor. As of right now, I don't plan on plugging it back in. Don't see any reason to.

Special thanks goes out to WS6snake-eater for most of this part...

1: Unplug MAF (Replace with strait bellows if you do not have intentions of ever using a MAF again ie. always speed density.)
2: Disable the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103 (No check engine light.) Do not completely disable the codes or the PCM will not fall into SD mode. Only turn off the SES light, DO NOT DISABLE THE CODES THEMSELVES!
3: Start up your scanner. Start up your histogram. Now, click File then connect. Go to tools then VCM Controls. Click on Fuel & Spark. Reset Fuel Trims.
4: Drive around at a MINIMUM of 15 minutes. Try not to floor it but if you do it seems to be ok.
Stop logging, save data, do not turn off engine until you save your data or you will lose your log. Now, look at your ltft's. Open up your editor and go to Edit>Engine>Airflow and look under MAIN VE click on Primary VE vs RPM vs MAP. Click on that.
5: Let's say at .800, .28 which is equivalent to 800 RPM's you have 4 which is equal to +4. For ALL YOUR TRIMS you want between 0 and -4, so what I do is do whatever it takes to get to zero. Easy rule of thumb here if you want number smaller, add you want number bigger subtract. So, we want to bring that DOWN to 0 so ADD 4 to .800, .28. Let's say 2.0, .20 is -10, SUBTRACT 10 from 2.0, .20 to bring it UP to 0. This will not work out exactly but will get your PRETTY CLOSE. Do this for all values until everything is between 0 and -4.
6: Repeat steps 3-5 until ALL values are between 0 and -4. Try and do this all in same day for best results.
7: Once all values are between 0 and -4, look at your 3d graph. Pretty choppy huh? Click on polynomial smoothing ONE TIME. This will take a lot of choppiness out. Now rescan, and do step 5.
8: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table (computer reverts to low octane table when MAF is unplugged, this assure optimal timing)

Read some of these tuning guides they work good for me.
Old 11-26-2013 | 08:54 AM
Teching In

Thank you! This is very much what I was looking for. I'll give these steps a try. I'll post back with how it all turns out. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Hotcam tuning suggestions