Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wideband o2

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wideband o2

Can anyone explain to me exactly what needs to be done in order for my 2000 ws6 to have wideband o2s? I've done some searching but haven't got a clear answer here. I understand the difference between narrow and wideband. I know the stocks are narrow. The connectors have a different number of wires. And the stock computer can't read them as far as I know. Each collector has a pre cat o2. I keep reading people don't keep them in an just use them to tune. You can't keep them in all the time? And do I need to fabricate or can I just put them in the factory spots? Some real clarification would be nice. I plan on running a gauge as well. Thanks very much for the help
Old 11-27-2013, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

that is a wideband...the wideband o2 sensor has the same thread as your factory o2 sensor so you can install it in there by removing the factory one temporarily, or you can go to a muffler shop to weld an o2 bung in your exhaust

^^ weld that to the exhaust so u can thread your wideband o2 sensor. The screen/gauge needs DC 12v and ground. If you want to "record" what the wideband is reading, there are two wires in most cases that are used that you plug in to a box or an adapter into your laptop.

Thats all there is to it.. of course assuming you know what the numbers mean... example, 14.7 is stoich for iso octane, and for na applications 12.5 to 13.1 are good WOT afrs...ETC... have fun !
Old 11-27-2013, 01:43 PM
Teching In

Thank you. I got all the fuel ratios. I work on cars and have studied the computer systems but I'm new to modding them lol you have to learn the basics before knowing what your doing. Now can this sensor control how the car runs? Another words it's still an input to the PCM. Or is this all show and for tuning. If it can I'm gonna toss the narrow bands to avoid fabricating.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:46 PM
Teching In

And I'm guessing it needs it's own wiring to its connector? I'm thinking finding a home in an empty fuse spot in the fusebox lol
Old 11-27-2013, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmFever90
Thank you. I got all the fuel ratios. I work on cars and have studied the computer systems but I'm new to modding them lol you have to learn the basics before knowing what your doing. Now can this sensor control how the car runs? Another words it's still an input to the PCM. Or is this all show and for tuning. If it can I'm gonna toss the narrow bands to avoid fabricating.
The wideband sensor is just a tool, it tells you hows the combustion is doing; it does not tune your vehicle! You must use specialized software I.E. hp tuners or efi live, and then change your "fueling tables" either up or down throughout the rpms until the wideband reads what you want it to read. So if your wideband reads 12:1 at idle u use hptuners for instance and go to the idle area and reduce fuel by 10 percent.. then see if the wideband is reading closer to 14.7.. and if it is then move on to the next part like part throttle! Until the wideband reads what you want it to you adjust the tables up or down. The wideband comes with its own harness you dont need fuseboxes or anytging complicated it is extremely simple the harder part is knowing where to route everything in your dash and where to mount it
Old 11-27-2013, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm hooking one up too. I have an open loop speed density tune, so I can put the o2 sensor into the o2 spot on my driver's side header. The hardest part is routing the harness and wiring.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TransAmFever90
Now can this sensor control how the car runs? Another words it's still an input to the PCM. Or is this all show and for tuning. If it can I'm gonna toss the narrow bands to avoid fabricating.
The Innovate LC-1's have the ability to output a narrow band signal that can be used by the PCM in addition to the wideband signal used for tuning. So you can screw them in place of the original O2's and have them do both jobs at once. The wiring is important to get proper grounding to get the correct readings.

As stated before the PCM doesn't recognize a wide band O2 so the wide band output must be sent to a gauge or a logging device for tuning purposes.

Quick Reply: Wideband o2