Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy a used HP Tuner Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 12:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Buy a used HP Tuner Advice needed

I thinking about buying a used HP Tuners Pro.

I would like to know what I should look out for. Are some better than others? How much difference does the age make? What is the wide band kit used for?

I am modding my first LS engine. LQ4 based 408 with a Super Victor, TFS 235's, Cam by Martin. I'll be going to SD and I'm replacing the 4L60 with a 4L80.

Any help, advice, guidance, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

First of all do some math when negotiating a selling price. The Pro version is $650, and come with 8 credits (enough to tune 4 VIN's or vehicles). Since 8 credits cost $50 each; the total credit value is $400. $650 minus $400 is $250. So $250 is all the interface is really worth.
Next verify the owner has the multi-digit key linked to the interface. No key, then walk away. Next verify the interface works using the scanner and also to read a file from a vehicle. Next verify the interface internal data logging storage function operates.

Many people pay WAY too much for these units when they are used. Dont get wrapped around the axle and pay too much.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks

that is the type of input I need. How do I verify if the multi-digit key?
Old 12-12-2013, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 104 Likes on 73 Posts

Doing this for memory so it may not be exactly correct.

Load the HPT software onto your PC, physically connect the USB interface ( no car is needed), select from the help menu to update application key or something like that. Enter the key the cable owner has and then in the same window, connect ot the interface and all the used and availabe credits and used VIN's will appear. Look at the bottom of the window to see how many are on the interface and available. Dont confuse the used, with available credits. I can update this when I get home for correctness.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by aknovaman
Doing this for memory so it may not be exactly correct.

Load the HPT software onto your PC, physically connect the USB interface ( no car is needed), select from the help menu to update application key or something like that. Enter the key the cable owner has and then in the same window, connect ot the interface and all the used and availabe credits and used VIN's will appear. Look at the bottom of the window to see how many are on the interface and available. Dont confuse the used, with available credits. I can update this when I get home for correctness.
I bought a used one, guy didn't include the password..

I emailed support at hptuners and told them the situation and they had me send them pics of the interface and the serial number etc...

He reset the password and I got to log on and make a new one..

Can you clarify by multi digit key?

I've already ordered 4 credits and updated the application key and loaded the credits on to the Interface.. Haven't used it yet, but everything should be cool?
Old 12-12-2013, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You received great advice. I found the used units I tried to buy way overpriced when I figured the credit value as well. I ended up purchasing a NIB pro unit for 75 dollars off retail and have used it to tune two cars so far. Love having the availability to adjust parameters myself. Go for it but be careful purchasing used. I didn't think I would need a wideband at first but also picked up a wideband - I now believe a quality wideband is essential to tuning.

Quick Reply: Buy a used HP Tuner Advice needed