PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firebird V6 - V8 Swap - UI000 Code / Also Emissions cant read PCM but scan tools can?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Firebird V6 - V8 Swap - UI000 Code / Also Emissions cant read PCM but scan tools can?

Ok, loooooong story on this swap but the short version is the original V6 INTERIOR Harness was hacked by the guy who attempted to install the Wiring Harness from the LS1 motor. I took it to a shop and they completely replaced the harness with a V8 interior harness and now all the gauges work but I am getting strange trouble codes, and also an emissions station is not able to read the PCM...

The trouble code I have is UI000 - Autozone pulled it up when I had them look it up for a V8 model car instead of a V6, as it has a V8 PCM. The emissions station scanned the VIN on the car I guess, I didnt tell them it was a V6 or V8, do I need to tell them it's now a V8 and have them do emissions for a V8? Their scanner is not able to see the PCM.

Any idea? Do I need to change the VIN on the PCM to get it to be read?
Old 12-14-2013, 04:21 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a friend that went thru something similar....

you have to tell the emissions people that the motor has been replaced and the Vin in the PCM will not match the one on the window...

their testing computer is trying to read the pcm based on the V6 Vin #....
and it cannot perform the tests because its commanding the wrong things to get the tests to run...so it fails instantly.

write down the Vin in the PCM and ask them to use that VIN when they enter it into the Testing machine

once my buddy did that, his car passed just fine.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I had a friend that went thru something similar....

you have to tell the emissions people that the motor has been replaced and the Vin in the PCM will not match the one on the window...

their testing computer is trying to read the pcm based on the V6 Vin #....
and it cannot perform the tests because its commanding the wrong things to get the tests to run...so it fails instantly.

write down the Vin in the PCM and ask them to use that VIN when they enter it into the Testing machine

once my buddy did that, his car passed just fine.
Thank you, you saved me ALOT of money and trouble.

Can I reprogram the VIN with a tuner?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:47 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you can change it with EFI live....
but know that you will only be able to tune it with EFI live after you change it as HP Tuners has to have a matching Vin and OS to be able to write to the pcm
(HP Tuners can overwrite the entire file as long as the file you put in has a correct vin for the OS)

and I have no idea if the emissions place will be able to do their tests if the Vin and OS are a mismatch
I believe its an issue with 3 things, vin on dash does not match pcm, vin in test does not match pcm, wrong tests are run because of wrong vin on dash that is entered in the test computer.

like I said...
you need to read the file, get the Vin that is in the PCM and write it down...
when you go for emissions, give them the vin that is in the pcm and tell them that the vin on the window does is not correct and their computer cant do the tests with the wrong vin# from the dash
make them manually enter the vin on the paper so it can access your pcm

and even then, they may not be able to do the tests because technically they are not able to test the car with a dash vin that does not match the vin in the pcm..
it would be like asking for tags for a car you did not bring to get tested...

which means you have to hope you can have somebody with EFI live change the vin and hope that is all that is needed for the emissions computer.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by soundengineer
you can change it with EFI live....
but know that you will only be able to tune it with EFI live after you change it as HP Tuners has to have a matching Vin and OS to be able to write to the pcm
(HP Tuners can overwrite the entire file as long as the file you put in has a correct vin for the OS)

and I have no idea if the emissions place will be able to do their tests if the Vin and OS are a mismatch
I believe its an issue with 3 things, vin on dash does not match pcm, vin in test does not match pcm, wrong tests are run because of wrong vin on dash that is entered in the test computer.

like I said...
you need to read the file, get the Vin that is in the PCM and write it down...
when you go for emissions, give them the vin that is in the pcm and tell them that the vin on the window does is not correct and their computer cant do the tests with the wrong vin# from the dash
make them manually enter the vin on the paper so it can access your pcm

and even then, they may not be able to do the tests because technically they are not able to test the car with a dash vin that does not match the vin in the pcm..
it would be like asking for tags for a car you did not bring to get tested...

which means you have to hope you can have somebody with EFI live change the vin and hope that is all that is needed for the emissions computer.
I see...in this dillema however, does the emissions test also depend on the VIN to determine what O.S. it's communicating with? If so then if I change the VIN on the V8 PCM with EFI Live then it will still keep the V8 O.S. so the emissions test will still try the V6 test and have matching VIN's but still have a mismatch on the O.S. ??

How does everyone who does V6 / V8 swaps get by emissions?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:54 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeez, two threads about the same thing.

Quick Reply: Firebird V6 - V8 Swap - UI000 Code / Also Emissions cant read PCM but scan tools can?