Sponsored by:

hypertech or diablo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hypertech or diablo?

Hello all,

I am looking into some sort of PCM mods as my next venture. I would really like to go all out and get ls1edit but I am a afraid that I lack the engine knowledge that it may require for proper modification at this point, hopefully soon. Anyway I was looking at the hypertech power programmer or the diablo predator and I am curious to know if anyone has had any success with either and could possibly make a reccomendation. I am looking for something that will change my shift points and firmness mainly. I am extremely frustrated with the 20 mph 'bog' that I get from my A4 because its already in 4th and I have to 'ask' it for better response by pushing the throttle down.

So in short, should I go with hypertech, diablo or does ls1edit come with some pre-programmed data that I can sent to my PCM rather than adjusting each individual pont myself?

How much performance do you really gain and is it a noticable difference?

How is it noticeable (ie low speed, torque, etc)?

Thanks for your time..
Old 05-09-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt buy either. I have a Predator myself. Its a little better for you because I have a 6 speed. The only real benefit for me is the fan temps. The performance isnt really there. I would say HPTuners if you want to get serious, thats my next step. Or if you think that is over what you want to do then I would go with a mail order tune.
Old 05-09-2004, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks...anyone with an A4 tried these?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ataylors
I wouldnt buy either. I have a Predator myself. Its a little better for you because I have a 6 speed. The only real benefit for me is the fan temps. The performance isnt really there. I would say HPTuners if you want to get serious, thats my next step. Or if you think that is over what you want to do then I would go with a mail order tune.
I feel the same way. The Predator is nice because I can adjust timming and fuel which is good for me since I'm running nitrous. However, Diablo promised alot more things would come with the new updates including data logging. The update has still not come out yet (been hearing about it since last fall) and they have said no datalogging. If you have a laptop go with HPTuners (only $100 more than a Predator) or take the plunge and buy both (I sure wish I had of).
Old 05-09-2004, 06:30 PM
10 Second Club

No argument the other routes offer more (not Hypertech), but you need to know the PCM **** or you're screwed. I have a Predator, and it does what I want it to. I set my shift points to 6200, set my firmness all the way up, and the shift time all the way down & it makes a noticeable difference. Through playing with it, talking to James @ Runnin With The Devil, and his custom tunes (free), my A/F is now perfect. Not easy to do with all my mods either! You can see my hp & et in my sig.....not too shabby for an A4 car in Seattle with a stock motor, stock stall conv & 3.23 gears.
Old 05-09-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 hypertech, is good if you buy used, and use it for gears, tire size, fan temps, shift firmness.

2 Diablo is good for somebody who does not want to get their feet wet in the pcm editing tables.

3 Hptuners/edit is for somebody who wants to learn, or already knows lots about the pcm, and can do their own changes.

I went with #3, as there is no #2 available for 1998's so it was a simple choice, with my blower in the future
Old 05-09-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks to all...can I buy a used programmer? I thought that they could only be used for 1 car?

THANKS
Old 05-09-2004, 09:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can buy them used, IF they were put back to stock

diablow charges a $75 resetting fee for a new vin number, for a used predator, just buy it new from james at RWTD

hypertech does not charge anything, and all you need to do is set to stock, and then use on new vehicle (same year only)

Ryan
Old 05-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Hpp3 can be bought used if they returned their car to stock. Why do that though? The shift firmness and points you're looking for can be done EASILY with editing software and you have the added bonus of later down the road doing other stuff with it where as with Hpp3 or predator you're pretty much done. If you have any computer experience at all you'll be able to set your tranny up with no problems.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

I bought a used HPP3 and my mods are the same, if you don't plan to do heads and cam at this time, the HPP3 used is a good investment. I installed mine and my car gained a solid .25/10s. I thought it was a good bang 4 the buck.In fact i picked up more et with the HPP3 then i did going from 2.73s to 3.23s. I will invest in the HPtuners editor in the near future.
Old 05-10-2004, 12:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought the Predator for my 02 A4. It does everything I wanted to do. Fan temps, timing, A/F ratio, shifting adjustments, live data readout, trouble codes......... It's all I needed so it's been good for me.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks to all for the helpful info