PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Silverado tuning and warranty issue (speedo recal)

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 04:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2014 Silverado tuning and warranty issue (speedo recal)

I posted this over at HPtuners but after thinking about it, I figured you guys might have some more real-world answers to my issue since there doesn't seem to be a lot of e92 tuning over there yet.

I have a couple friends that went out and bought 2014 Silverado's. One has lifted his already and put 35's on it and wants his speedometer calibrated for obvious reasons. I talked to my dealer and they said that they suggest against this because it will void the warranty, in the same breath they also told me that the speedo will automatically adjust itself over time. Well that made me believe in Santa all over again but I still have this uneasy feeling about not being able to adjust something as simple as the gear calculations without jeopardizing his drivetrain warranty (assuming he has any hard part failures and it is checked)

Its my understanding that there is no flash counter per say, but there is an event log that records any CVN number changes. My question is what changes a CVN value? Is this CVN calculated by all values in the ECU which ANY small change ANYWHERE would change this CVN value? Or is the CVN a number that just corresponds to the tune in each vehicle, and the checksum values are based on say, network ID/VIN/and module serial number and things like that. If that's the case... I can see Hypertech and other generic canned tunes changing the CVN and voiding the warranty. I have done a lot of research and have no hard evidence of a voided warranty after somebody has made changes with HPtuners or the other platform, just some good, hit an miss info mixed in with a whole bunch of speculation and jaw flapping from people that have no idea.

Also... One of the canned tune companies are swearing that their tunes are not traceable in the Global A vehicles, supposedly because they want you to upload your original tune and they will make changes to it which is suppose to be the trick. If this is in fact true, they can just go that route but I hate to do that when I can make the same changes waaaaaaaay cheaper.

Can somebody on here clear ANY of this up?

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rab986
Is this CVN calculated by all values in the ECU which ANY small change ANYWHERE would change this CVN value?
Yes..
Old 02-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
Yes..
Nice and simple but definitely not what I was wanting you to say. Thanks for making the decision to mod the ECU much more difficult. Do you realize how long it's been since my group of friends have ran around with stock vehicles? I give it till mid summer before their warranty is null.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:26 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Flashing with one of our devices will not alter the CVNs.

E92 is supported, trucks and corvettes, and tire size adjustments are included in either device we sell

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado tuning and warranty issue (speedo recal)