Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wideband help needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wideband help needed

I've been trying to search the topic but can't really find any newbie help. Not new to racing or the LS1 but need advice on a wideband.

We have an '04 bolt-on C5. Just added nitrous. My tuner can't get me in as our schedules are conflicting and before I run the car at the track I want to check the AFR. He uses HP Tuners and I don't have a copy of that or mess with it.

Can I buy a wideband and add to my car without needing a retune just to keep an eye on the AFR? I have jets to tune with and will read plugs but until I see that number I won't be comfortable racing. I'm new widebands and have no idea what to buy, how to install, what would be the easiest way, etc. We do all of our own work on the car and installations so I'm ok learning but don't know where to start.

Thanks.

Scott
Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

How much are you planning to spray? You will most likely at least need to pull some timing in the tune.

It's hard to watch a wideband on a wot hit, better to log it and review frame by frame.

I would try to make time to take it to the tuner or have someone drop it off for you or something...could you not drop it off at his shop overnight or something like that?
Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry. Forgot to mention that in my OP. We are spraying 150 (stock LS1) and have already set it to pull 6 degrees though the LNC controller.

No, the tuner is only available M-F from like 9-6 when I work so by the time I get there he is closed. Plus, I like to be there when they tune so that if anything happens I can watch and know what is going on.

Scott
Old 03-20-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I have heard some guys 'trick' one of the temp sensors, not sure if it is iat or coolant, into thinking it is cold I think, and it pulls timing to keep things safe for running N20.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Do you know your na timing? Pulling 6 deg may not be enough.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

start with a jetting for a 50 shot and sure you can setup a wideband to just monitor and capture to analyze

6 deg of timing pull should be plenty for a small 50-100 shot

just make sure you have drive around to get the wideband and engine up to temp before you do the pull

a cold engine on a big nitrous blast isn't a good idea but then I'm a turbo guy
Old 03-25-2014, 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rkreigh
start with a jetting for a 50 shot and sure you can setup a wideband to just monitor and capture to analyze

6 deg of timing pull should be plenty for a small 50-100 shot

just make sure you have drive around to get the wideband and engine up to temp before you do the pull

a cold engine on a big nitrous blast isn't a good idea but then I'm a turbo guy
Pulling 6 from what, 24,25,30 deg? Without knowing what his NA timing is saying 6 is enough is assuming alot IMO.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

assuming stock timing, but yes that is a very good point

most folks don't shoot this small an amount, shouldn't need too much timing retard IF the base timing is reasonable

good luck

Quick Reply: wideband help needed