Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c5 z06 (ls6) with no catalytic converters and longtube headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 z06 (ls6) with no catalytic converters and longtube headers

I have a bunch of CEL codes mostly all has something to do with the 02sensors and the heated 02sensors.
Im sure my car needs some new 02 sensors because they are old (maybe 50k miles on them) but a lot of people amd tuners suggest that I just "tune" them out. .I can see tuning out the rear 02sensors since they have something to do with the catalytic converters and I don't have any..
Ive probably ran across only 2 tuners who do not recommend turning the front 02sensors off via a tune..but im worried that I go spend money on some new front 02 sensors and I get the same codes again. .
So has anyone installed long tube headers and are useing the front 02sensors with no problem? Or did you have to get them tune off?..my car smells like gas big time and is this something that i would have to live with since I dont have catalytic converters? ..I have LG longtube headers amd I read somewhere that they recommend useing the rear 02s in the front, since something about the heated 02s turning on better than the front 02s..
Old 04-24-2014, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Codes....
Attached Thumbnails c5 z06 (ls6) with no catalytic converters and longtube headers-screenshot_2014-04-20-10-21-54.jpg   c5 z06 (ls6) with no catalytic converters and longtube headers-screenshot_2014-04-14-20-31-11.jpg  
Old 04-24-2014, 02:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Almost NO ONE turns off the front O2 sensors. There is almost no reason to turn them off. You certainly need to search more(learn more) if you are asking about deleting front O2's and LT's. The rears need to be deleted in the tune.

The only time your car runs open loop as at and after start-up until operating temp is reached. It's all closed loop from there until PE.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Based on the pictures it's your front O2s. Has the car been tuned since the header install?

Check the fuse for the O2 sensors
Check the wires by the headers for damage
Pull the sensors out while still connected and turn the key to the ON position and see if they get hot
If not then replace the front sensors
Turn the key to ON and check to see if they get hot. If they do then you're good to go

Bank 1 sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 2 are the rear O2 sensors.

Last edited by danieloneil01; 04-24-2014 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
Based on the pictures it's your front O2s. Has the car been tuned since the header install?

Check the fuse for the O2 sensors
Check the wires by the headers for damage
Pull the sensors out while still connected and turn the key to the ON position and see if they get hot
If not then replace the front sensors
Turn the key to ON and check to see if they get hot. If they do then you're good to go

Bank 1 sensor 2 and Bank 2 Sensor 2 are the rear O2 sensors.
Yea the previous owner installed headers on it and had it tuned by Gforce in texas from what I was told (I tried contacting Gforce multiple times to see if that was true and I never got a reply or call back from them)..the car was running awesome but I was getting a very very bad gas smell, I know thats expected for a car without cat converters but the gas smell was just to much so I contacted another tuner who has great reveiws in tuneing ls1/ls6 etc. Engines and we proceeded to tune my car via email and ill datalog and send him the info and he'll tweak the tune accordingly and he'll send me another tune via email and ill upload the new tune to my car.

The tuner I have tuneing the car now told me that after reviewing the last tune that was on my car, it was just plain ridiculous and my car was a ticking time bomb.
They had it tuned where my my CEL was TURNED OFF so I wasn't getting a CEL letting me know that the front 02sensors where bad (thats why I asked why do people tune there front 02sensors off) because I sure wasn't getting a CEL letting me know that my 02sensors needed replacing. .
Im going to go head and do what you and my tuner recommended, which is check out the sensors and replace them if needed to be...the heater fuse dose blow every few days or so and im gona try and see of I can find a wiring schematic for the 02 sensors and make sure the wires are straight. .
Old 04-25-2014, 12:28 AM
Staging Lane

Also when you say pull the sensors out while the key is in the on position,
What am I looking for to get hot? The sensor or the wiring thats connected to the sensors?
I have a 2002 corvette z06 and heard that the wires connected to the sensors are "heated"..im some what mechanically inclined and do mostly all my maintenance(oil change, spark plugs, all fluid changes etc.) But ive never really fooled with the 02sensors as I've never had that problem with any of my previous cars.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The bottom of the sensor will get burning hot. Get a crescent wrench to remove it. It should get hot within 10 seconds with the key to the ON position. Just follow the wires to the plug that is secured to the frame on both sides. Should be easy to find if you follow the wires but with headers it's a bitch to connect/disconnect. If the fuse blows then I would lean towards that. I bet one of the wires if not more melted against the header.

GForce should be called GFarce. I wouldn't let them tune my mower.

Since you're data logging do you have the tune of the car that gforce did?

Last edited by danieloneil01; 04-25-2014 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: c5 z06 (ls6) with no catalytic converters and longtube headers