PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TR 224 with stock tune. Is it ok?

Old 05-17-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TR 224 with stock tune. Is it ok?

I am going to install my TR 224 112 this weekend and i wont be able to afford a tune for a little while. Should i be ok driving it around for a while with a stock tune. It isnt the biggest cam in the world and i will be able to change the rev limiter and the L trims and such because i do have a maft and hpp3. Will it be ok to get on it every once in a while or what. My friend has an LT1 with a large cam and no tune and he beats the **** out of his car and another friend has a 218-224 cam and he had no tune for quite some time. Just looking for some feedback. I know my results will be a lot better with a tune. But it takes time to get everything. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove my car for a year with a MAFT/HPP3 with the TR224/114 cam. You'll need to drill the TB hole out some for it to idle right. Other than that, I had it tuned right on with the MAFT.

Craig
Old 05-17-2004, 02:36 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With no tune, it will be rich in the low rpms, and lean in the high rpms. But since the stock tune is pretty rich at high rpm, you will be OK there. You should be able to just drill the TB some and be in pretty good shape until you get a tune.
Old 05-17-2004, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmJo
I am going to install my TR 224 112 this weekend and i wont be able to afford a tune for a little while. Should i be ok driving it around for a while with a stock tune. It isnt the biggest cam in the world and i will be able to change the rev limiter and the L trims and such because i do have a maft and hpp3. Will it be ok to get on it every once in a while or what. My friend has an LT1 with a large cam and no tune and he beats the **** out of his car and another friend has a 218-224 cam and he had no tune for quite some time. Just looking for some feedback. I know my results will be a lot better with a tune. But it takes time to get everything. Thanks.

The 98 LS1s have an adjustable throttle stop. You should not need to drill a hole to get it to idle. I don't have mine tuned yet. I have a BBK tb and it also has an adjustable thottle stop. All I did was play around with the thottle stop screw to get it to idle. It will not idle good until it warms up a little, but then, no problems! Good luck!
Old 05-18-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

be careful adjusting the idle stop because it you get it too high it will mess up your tps reading
Old 05-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that's why most people drill the hole rather than mess with the screw.

Search this Thread