Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

learned something new about licensing yesterday and stock tunes

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 04:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
You stated it's kind of like HP Tuners just wants money when it was just you not understanding what can be done. When you make uneducated inflammatory statements get ready to feel the burn.
You are correct it was an uneducated statement. Its hard to be educated on something without asking the questions or making statements.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
If you read what I wrote that is the same thing. Mult OS would mean any updates to linux, ubuntu, maciOS, Windows etc etc...same machine diff OS exactly like a vehicle computer. Same platform same vin even, but diff OS. Had you used the 6 credits for year model you would have zero issues and since hpt comes with 8 for its retail price you would be covered and not have to spend any money barring the customOS files. Since you arent worried about tuning any other vehicle, you could have done that, you just didnt.
When I said I didn't need it for multi vehicle I meant that I didn't have a reason to unlock tunes for that year and model. I will use it on other vehicles. So let's just leave it like this. I spoke to early and made a statement that was abrupt and kinda out of place. Yes I was pretty mad when I was not able to just download and flash a stock tune to go back to stock. Lesson learned. I guess this is what I get for posting before I think. I did not know at the time about the copy differences and I did copy past one by one the stock tune to my car. So anyways sorry for the headache caused. Thank you to the ones so helped. I am sure this won't be the last time I get a heated post about a question or statement I make on here.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 AM
7 Second Club

Received 329 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by altereddezignz
You are correct it was an uneducated statement. Its hard to be educated on something without asking the questions or making statements.
Are you still crying? There is a difference between asking questions and making stupid statements.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you still crying? There is a difference between asking questions and making stupid statements.
How long are you going to cry about a simple little rant that the guy basically apologized for? Maybe he should just be booted from tech.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:04 AM
Staging Lane

Good Lord. What else do i have to do. You tell me exactly what you would like for me to say so that you don't have to come back with some sort of comment about me.

Originally Posted by codyvette
How long are you going to cry about a simple little rant that the guy basically apologized for? Maybe he should just be booted from tech.
If it will end this dumb conversation than please someone ban me from the forum.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:12 AM
7 Second Club

Received 329 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
Maybe so. I'm just laughing over here at the amount of whiny cry babies on the forums now a days.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

There are many intricacies to tuning and as you found out, not all of them are related to actual tuning of the car.
I know many many people that say they dont plan on another car then either trade it for another fbody etc or buy another because it was a good deal. If you did get the year/model license, you could have done (for instance) any 02 fbody not just related to camaros or trans ams. But if you want to do that now you will need at least 6 credits again. OR if you ever do an LS swap, and use an fbody computer, you could tune it for "free" as well. Your options are opened quite a bit.
The other issue with finding a tune online and copy/paste it into your tune is the osid/revision of the donor file you are using. If someone used a different updated version or older one their beginning and end values may likely be different and some pids can also not be there in some cases.
There are many other instances where you have to burn more credits if you use only single vehicle licenses, such as replacing a bricked pcm or one not operating correctly.
As you have found out, putting something in the form of a question is taken alot better/easier than a statement. Kinda like Jeopardy.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
There are many intricacies to tuning and as you found out, not all of them are related to actual tuning of the car.
I know many many people that say they dont plan on another car then either trade it for another fbody etc or buy another because it was a good deal. If you did get the year/model license, you could have done (for instance) any 02 fbody not just related to camaros or trans ams. But if you want to do that now you will need at least 6 credits again. OR if you ever do an LS swap, and use an fbody computer, you could tune it for "free" as well. Your options are opened quite a bit.
The other issue with finding a tune online and copy/paste it into your tune is the osid/revision of the donor file you are using. If someone used a different updated version or older one their beginning and end values may likely be different and some pids can also not be there in some cases.
There are many other instances where you have to burn more credits if you use only single vehicle licenses, such as replacing a bricked pcm or one not operating correctly.
As you have found out, putting something in the form of a question is taken alot better/easier than a statement. Kinda like Jeopardy.
Thank you for the reply and i now completely understand. I just wish this would have been said this way up from rather than calling me lazy or that i was whining. LOL.. But thank you again.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:28 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by altereddezignz
So i have a car that someone else tuned before i purchased hp tuners. Well there is no way for me to load a stock tune b/c i have to licence that tune also. So if i wanted to i have to pay 2 credits for the licence to be able to tune the car then i have to turn around and buy another 2 credits to be able to load a stock tune back in it. It seams to me that you should be able to load anyone elses tune out of any car that you want to as long as your car is licensed.

Its kinda like HP tuners just wants money.

I dont know why you are saying you need 4 credits to tune.....

you only need the 2 credits to license the file in your ECU

Steps to make this happen on your vehicle
Read the File from your vehicle
Save the File and License it as a single Vehicle License (2 credits)

then...
you Download a stock file from the repository
open it in the Compare Window
copy over differences
Close compare file
save the Data on your Existing file
and then "Write Calibration"

you do not need to write an entire new file to the car...you only need to write the entire file if you are changing the OS
the parts that you change are the calibration data, so a write calibration is all that is needed....

when you make changes to the file, it is not a completely new file that HPT writes, it is just the data in the tables

again, the only time you will need to use more credits is if you need to change the OS...(like writing a 2002 OS to a 99 car, or changing from a stock OS to a Custom OS)
Old 05-25-2014, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by soundengineer
I dont know why you are saying you need 4 credits to tune.....

you only need the 2 credits to license the file in your ECU

Steps to make this happen on your vehicle
Read the File from your vehicle
Save the File and License it as a single Vehicle License (2 credits)

then...
you Download a stock file from the repository
open it in the Compare Window
copy over differences
Close compare file
save the Data on your Existing file
and then "Write Calibration"

you do not need to write an entire new file to the car...you only need to write the entire file if you are changing the OS
the parts that you change are the calibration data, so a write calibration is all that is needed....

when you make changes to the file, it is not a completely new file that HPT writes, it is just the data in the tables

again, the only time you will need to use more credits is if you need to change the OS...(like writing a 2002 OS to a 99 car, or changing from a stock OS to a Custom OS)
I know now that I do not need any more than 2 credits for the car I am licensing. I was under the impression that I could license a car and just download a tune from the HP tuner site and write that to the car. But when I tried to this with a stock downloaded tune I was requested to buy the license for that tube also. This is why I made the statement about the extra 2 credits needed. I didn't know that I could copy over differences u tile before your post when it was mentioned to me by another member.

Quick Reply: learned something new about licensing yesterday and stock tunes