Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 ls1 wiring ground problem need advice\help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 03:37 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 98 ls1 wiring ground problem need advice\help

Hey guys just did a heads and cam on the car . after install my gagues where acting weird dropping and spherically jumping back and forth every bump I hit . I was trying to get it tuned but the guy said he couldn't cause it was affecting my PCM cause of it . so I figured it must be the grounds on the back of the driver side heads . So i check it and I had pinced one of the two wires . So I decide to crimp new wires and make them a lil longer , because they are short as it is . I made sure they make contact with the head with with the new crimped wires with a continuity tester that come one electrical testers . Everything was good . But now I get nothing car doesn't start. But heres the weird thing in decide to hook up my obd2 and see if any code may come up and bam car works , it turns, gagues work as they should everything great, I even drove it 50 miles and nothing everything's fine . That's until I unplug the obd2 connector , then it turns off gagues don't work etc. But the thing is I don't have to have the scanner hooked up, just the connector that plugs into the obd2 port . Im guessing when I hook up the connector its bypassing the head grounds or the PCM is getting ground from what ever the ob2 port gets it from ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated I know I'm not the only one thats had this problem .Well I hope not the only one . Thanks again guys.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:36 AM
9 Second Club

Bump any info would be greatly appreciated or a step in the right direction
Old 05-25-2014, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are 3 ground wires on the back of the head. 2 on one lug and 1 on the other. You are missing one of them.
Attached Thumbnails 98 ls1 wiring ground problem need advice\help-98-head-grounds.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 10:52 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
There are 3 ground wires on the back of the head. 2 on one lug and 1 on the other. You are missing one of them.
thanks man I didn't realize there was three wires I thought only two on 98s.

Quick Reply: 98 ls1 wiring ground problem need advice\help