PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC overcharged - compr. shut down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2004, 04:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default AC overcharged - compr. shut down?

If you overcharge your AC system will that cause the compressor to shut down periodically?

My system does this after about 45 minutes of highway driving. When I turn it off for 5 minutes and turn it back on it blows cold again? I assume the compressor clutch stops and the freon is not circulating - not sure yet, however.

There is no place on this board to post AC questions; please write your favorate moderator to suggest a new category for this topic.

Thanks...
Old 05-18-2004, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I overfilled mine it simply busted a seal in the compressor, and started leaking.

So I pulled the entire system out for weight savings
Old 05-18-2004, 04:25 PM
TECH Veteran

...that blows - no pun intended...!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:28 AM
TECH Regular

I have the exact same problem in my C5. The dealer couldn't identify the source. I also noticed that the AC water dripping from the car is much more than normal (which probably indicates that something is frozen or near frozen within the AC system, not really sure).

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

OK - some here have suggested that the accumulator/dryer should be replace anytime the system is open; others seem to think it may be overfilled; and others suggest the switch is bad or the wrong amount of AC compressor oil....

One guy said it is probably the AC accumulator that is freezing up....I thought this was only possible when the system had moister in it, however... Thisis possible in my case since it was opened one year ago...

Was your system opened recently?
Old 05-20-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by robertbartsch

Was your system opened recently?
Yes. I also had another problem at the beginning that when I first turn the AC ON it would keep cycling between ON & OFF for a minute then would settle on the ON. That was 2k miles ago & for some reason it doesn't do that now!
Old 05-20-2004, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I would check that the AC condensation vent tube isn't plugged. If it gets plugged condensation backs up and can cause problems. There were posts on it awhile back.

Also make sure the radiator (the device the blower fan inside your car blows thru to get cool air into the car) isn't plugged up. Believe it or not, but leaves and all kinds of crud can accumulate in this device and literally shut your ac down.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

Are these cars orrifice tube or expansion valves?
Sounds like a bad pressure switch or busted expansion valve depending on the type of system.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:19 PM
wrencher

Well there are alot of diferent things that can cause this problem.
If your overcharged, you'll first notice poor performance, & even possibly compressor noise while running.
This is gonna need to be diagnosed.
First off what exactly was done to your A/C system?
Parts replaced? Oil added? How much of a charge was put in?
The drier should be replaced if system is opened, also is not hard to replace the oriffice tube also.
Your gonna nee to find out if the compressor clutch is engaging at the time of the problem.Could be an electrical issue with a pressure cycling switch not allowing the clutch to engage.There are numerous senerio's need to narrow it down a little.

Quick Reply: AC overcharged - compr. shut down?