PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 running super rich. WB reading 13.1-13.3? WTF!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 running super rich. WB reading 13.1-13.3? WTF!?

So my 99 camaro with full bolt ons was running great until I grenaded the driveshaft, destroying my freshly built trans and relatively new exhaust. The car is back on the road, but is running pig rich all the time. I just replaced the exhaust and re-did the header to head gaskets to eliminate exhaust leaks possibly causing the PCM to think its lean, and adding more fuel. When I log with HPTuners and my LC1 wideband, my AFR is within +/- 5 across the board and around 13.1 to 13.3 AFR. But at an idle it'll choke you out with exhaust and at WOT looks like a diesel rolling coal. What am I missing? Running SD tune, no MAF, no cats. TSP 233/239 cam with PRC stage 2.5 5.3L heads. Still hauls butt and runs smooth, just pig rich.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the plug and what gap?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1slowbusa
Did you replace the plug and what gap?
Not recently. I can't remember the plug specifics, they are stock heat range and gap. NGK IX plugs. About a year old.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh ok, heard this happening if the gap is to small on the plugs. Has it been tuned for the internal mods or just for the bolt on. Do a log, post it with your config file and aslo post your tune.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:07 PM
Teching In

I'll do a log and post it along with the tune tonite. Still at work right now. It's not off from what I'm commanding is what confuses me. Maybe the wideband is not reading right? I did a free air calibration of the wideband when I put the car back On the road a few weeks ago.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Arachnosold1er
I'll do a log and post it along with the tune tonite. Still at work right now. It's not off from what I'm commanding is what confuses me. Maybe the wideband is not reading right? I did a free air calibration of the wideband when I put the car back On the road a few weeks ago.
The wideband isn't controlling the fuel/air so it doesn't matter if it is reading incorrectly, you've still got black smoke indicating it's too rich.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cosmik de Bris
The wideband isn't controlling the fuel/air so it doesn't matter if it is reading incorrectly, you've still got black smoke indicating it's too rich.
But the wideband was used to tune the VE, and therefore affects fueling. I'm aware that it's rich, the black smoke and smell makes it super obvious. But the WBO2 is saying I'm where I should be in relation to what I'm commanding which is 13.1 AFR. 13.1 should not be rich enough to cause the amount of smoke I'm getting. I ran the same AFR in the car before and it was spot on and ran like a scalded ape with a tad bit of smoke at Wot only.

Quick Reply: Ls1 running super rich. WB reading 13.1-13.3? WTF!?