Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on HP tuners OS and PCM's

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on HP tuners OS and PCM's

have a 0411 PCM and a 4.8. I think 2003 or 2002.
Swapped vehicle.
I just bought HPTuners and YES i have read the FAQ on the credit system and still have a question.

The tune i have on my PCM is JUNK TO ME, as in, I want it gone, spoof, bye.
I found a stock like 2000 or something STOCK tune.
I would like to write that tune to my PCM and start over tuning.
So do i license my ECU and then that repository tune, then flash?
If so how do I check and make sure it is compatible.
Or can I license my stock file, then apply a OS upgrade so I can have better resolution, RTT and a spark revlimiter and BECAUSE i upgraded, it will be a blank custom OS, I want the spark limiter instead of fuel?
Or can I apply the upgrade to the stock file from the internet?
And then how many credits is this going to cost?
Old 06-27-2014, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they are the same OS you'll just license your OS/PCM and copy/paste the tables from the repository.

Only writing requires credits.

Upgrading the OS to a HPTuners Custom is now free I believe assuming you have licensed the stock OS.

Total cost 2 credits.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

Ok that makes sense. But just incase for some odd reason the tune I have on my PCM is like corrupt or something stupid like that,
Can I license the stock file from the repository and just flash it onto my PCM and then go from there?
Or is there something I need check, like PCM model number or OS number to make sure they are compatible.
The reason why I am so hell bent on this is because the truck currently runs sooooooo baaaad and its not the engine builders fault, and I have NO IDEA what kind of tune/OS is on the ECM in the first place and I was reading that copying values and tables can reset a tune back to default but if it is corrupt in some way, then it just needs to be re-flashed.

So I license the stock 4.8 5 speed tune from (2004 5 speed truck) and then flash it to my pcm, and completely ignore whats on the pcm in the first place.
I have a 03 or something like that 4.8, DBC tb, and 0411 pcm, I guess it should work....
Yay or nay?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

0411 pcm is not compatible with 03+ truck files.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Staging Lane

But don't 0411 ecus come with them from the factory? They didn't stop using the blue red ECU's till 2007.
And I know thats true because I worked on a 2005 tahoe with a Red/Blue computer....

I am lost now. What computers come in trucks then? 99-07
Old 06-28-2014, 06:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by agentruley
But don't 0411 ecus come with them from the factory? They didn't stop using the blue red ECU's till 2007.
And I know thats true because I worked on a 2005 tahoe with a Red/Blue computer....

I am lost now. What computers come in trucks then? 99-07
I think I see now after reading some.
in 2004 they switched to a different processor in the ECU. But I still don't get how that affects LS style tunes when I see people flashing tunes from 06 this, or 05 that onto the 'universal' 0411 pcms....
Old 06-28-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Within HP Tuners the PCM will say either "P01" or "P59" under the Controller Details tab. Any file with P01 listed under the controller is a "411" style PCM, any file that says P59 is the later (2003 +) PCM. As mentioned above, these are NOT interchangeable even though the PCM's look similar externally. Some front wheel drive PCM's look similar but have a clear connector which is another animal entirely.

So what you are trying to do is go back to a 100% stock setting for your engine, correct? There is no reason to license a file from the repository. You can copy the settings from one to another within HP tuners without doing it manually.

Post your file so we can see what you are talking about.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Within HP Tuners the PCM will say either "P01" or "P59" under the Controller Details tab. Any file with P01 listed under the controller is a "411" style PCM, any file that says P59 is the later (2003 +) PCM. As mentioned above, these are NOT interchangeable even though the PCM's look similar externally. Some front wheel drive PCM's look similar but have a clear connector which is another animal entirely.

So what you are trying to do is go back to a 100% stock setting for your engine, correct? There is no reason to license a file from the repository. You can copy the settings from one to another within HP tuners without doing it manually.

Post your file so we can see what you are talking about.
Much better...
Now I understand.
I will post up my file later, I do not have access to the vehicle right now.
I just want to go back to stock just in-case I DO have all of the tables copied over but it still runs like crap and it happens to be a bad/corrupt tune (which has happened to me before)
Old 06-28-2014, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

I am also reading about how to apply the custom Hptuners OS and it says that it resets tables and keeps just values and writes a whole new OS so what I think I will do is read the OS from my ECU and then apply the 1bar MAF custom os so it is nice and fresh.
Then copy over VE and what-knot tables from a stock 4.8 file.

Btw, do any of the HPTuners OS's have the ability to do a spark rev limiter with the 0411 ecu that I have?
and aren't all of the custom OS's free and to do my truck it still only cost 2, rather than 4 like before??
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

If the calibration is corrupt, it typically can't be read or overwritten with HP Tuners. At this point the vehicle won't run and the fuel pump won't even prime. That's typically hard to do on one of those PCM's, but it can be done.

If you have the proper OS for the engine and the wiring is correct it's a setting issue that can be resolved in HP Tuners. All those settings can be compared and copied from file to file (within OS limits) to "fix" a broken calibration. No additional credits necessary.

The first thing I do before I make any changes is save the original file with a distinct name (like Greg 2002 Z28 original) and store all my original files away from the ones I'm modifying. Then as I make changes, I make incremental files. If I make a huge typo or something goes horribly wrong in the calibration, worst case I can always go back a step or two or even back to stock.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
If the calibration is corrupt, it typically can't be read or overwritten with HP Tuners. At this point the vehicle won't run and the fuel pump won't even prime. That's typically hard to do on one of those PCM's, but it can be done.

If you have the proper OS for the engine and the wiring is correct it's a setting issue that can be resolved in HP Tuners. All those settings can be compared and copied from file to file (within OS limits) to "fix" a broken calibration. No additional credits necessary.

The first thing I do before I make any changes is save the original file with a distinct name (like Greg 2002 Z28 original) and store all my original files away from the ones I'm modifying. Then as I make changes, I make incremental files. If I make a huge typo or something goes horribly wrong in the calibration, worst case I can always go back a step or two or even back to stock.
Sounds like a plan.
Though when I read the file, how do I know it is the right os for my engine, or more importantly, if I have a 5.3 or what ever tune, can I still just copy over said tables and it work the same?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by agentruley
Sounds like a plan.
Though when I read the file, how do I know it is the right os for my engine, or more importantly, if I have a 5.3 or what ever tune, can I still just copy over said tables and it work the same?
There are multiple parts to a tune.
The OS (and associated segments) run the engine, transmission and driveline related accessories (fuel pump, fans, AC cycling, etc.).

The calibration (some people call this the "tune") tells the OS what parameters the engine, transmission and accessories have and what they need to run. This is the part you need to adjust after you change the physical engine properties or gear ratio.

The OS and segments need to match your hardware (physical PCM, transmission, etc.) but has nothing to do with HOW the engine runs. The calibration is your spark tables, fuel adders, injector data, shift points, etc. This information tells the computer HOW to run the engine and transmission.

Example 1: You just installed a radical cam, new gears and a stall - make changes to the calibration.

Example 2: Changed from a 4L60E to a 4L80E or manual - change the segments (segment swap) within the OS. At this time HP Tuners software will not allow this, however they will modify the file for you for free.

Sorry that was a bit long but I said it so you understand the basics of how the computer thinks and works. When you do a compare or copy in HP Tuners you aren't copying the OS, you are only copying the data that runs the engine. Using the same OS simply makes life easier because all the fields are the same even though the data may differ. Different OS's have different options which may not compare as well.

Post the tune you have that you don't like.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So my OS wont allow for 3 bar enhancements, do i need to segment swap or can i use find a OS that has 3 bar enhancements available and does it have to be just a P59 controller or seed or both to be compatible to upload it to my ECM here is a screen shot thanks and peace
Attached Thumbnails Question on HP tuners OS and PCM's-p59-controller-hptuners-forums.jpg  
Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

This is what I'm being told. I tried to load the 3 bar SD tune with 3.2 and it's doing the following....
  • Cold start - won't stay running without flapping the throttle and it's very weak at that.
  • After it warms up a bit, KPA is 47, PW(PulseWidth) is 2.2, Wideband is 11.x/12.x.
  • In neutral, slowly push gas pedal to increase RPM. KPA goes to 30'ish, PW is 2.2 and WB is 10.x/11.x
  • Put it in gear, slowly push gas pedal to increase RPM/try to get car to move. KPA goes to 50/60's, PW STILL freakin' 2.2, WB goes dead lean at 19.x and RPM falters to 450rpm.

I tried RTT changing VE from small to large values (no effect whatsoever)
I decreased and increased VE, from small to large. Only going to 20 in all VE cells did the PW change and that was only to flutter between 1.9 and 2.2

Called a tuner friend of mine and told him of my issues.
He said,...
  • He's had trouble getting HPTuners versions 3.0 and 3.2 to properly load 2 and 3 bar tunes correctly. He uses the prior version (2.xx) for all LS1 Camaros, only using 3.0 and 3.2 for newer cars/trucks.
  • He said the 0411 is NOT the PCM to use for 3 bar SD tunes, saying that the P59 is a good one.

Originally Posted by the404man
So my OS wont allow for 3 bar enhancements, do i need to segment swap or can i use find a OS that has 3 bar enhancements available and does it have to be just a P59 controller or seed or both to be compatible to upload it to my ECM here is a screen shot thanks and peace

Quick Reply: Question on HP tuners OS and PCM's