Sponsored by:

Gen III Flex fuel Write-up

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Guillaume Malaquin
Thanks of these answers !

The guy who tune the LS in France said to me that I need a PCM +2003 for turn flexfuel, because my PCM don't have the VE Table for it even he flash the Tahoe/Avalanche OS. That's why I'm confused (and he told me I have 1bar now).
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=1675509&page=

Read through this thread a bit. Should help.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topgun542
Ive already had alot of people asking me about this setup and a few wanting a write up so i will go into as best detail i can about this.

This will allow you to run any fuel and not worry about the ethanol content.

I did this flex fuel on my 1999 silverado. Basically the same as any 99-02 fbody. I did upgrade to the 0411 pcm which is common pcm for 99-02 camaros. The 99 truck pcms were known for problems which is why i switched.

I had already updated my injectors to 50 lbs flex fuel injectors. The part number for anyone wanting to use that is 12613412. They came off of 2010-2014 trucks with a 6.0. I am however still using the stock pump and havent had any problems.

Hardware-
1. You will need to tap into the fuel line somewhere. It doesn't matter whether it be the feed or return. Feed made more sense to me as the fuel will be analyzed before the motor sees it.
Since the sensor i was using had the same inlet and outlet size as my fuel line i used Russel fitting 644123, which is a 3/8 to stock fuel line fitting. I then used a -6 to -6 fitting then another fuel line fitting quick connect fitting.

Sidenote- For a fbody, The fittings may very but will generally be the same. there might even be more room on a camaro that what i had to work with.

2. Flex fuel sensor- As far as flex fuel sensors go, you have a few options.
13577429- This is the one used and is small and fits nicely. the price is nice also
13577394- Longer fuel leads but the same internally.
13577379- Same as above but has very short leads and i dont think the quick connect fittings would work.
Gm makes a very expensive one also, but dont waste your money as that one is the same as the ones above

3. Harness- I used 13352241 and hacked the end off i didnt need...

4. You will also need some wire and a pcm lead connector. I had a few from a pcm bench harness i made but if you don't have them the internet does and they are cheap. They are just Micro-Pack 100W 1.0 Terminals. Search that and find some!

5- HPtuners to Load the New OS onto your pcm.
12216125 - That is the os for the 02 Tahoe Flex Fuel operating system.

Wiring-
I am going to include the diagrams for the connectors and pcm to make it a little easier to see what im talking about. But the sensor just needs a ground, Which i ran to the nearest ground on my truck which was conveniently about 4 inches away but any ground will do.
Next is a switched power source, I looked on the diagram to see what the actual sensor is to be powered by. Pin 19 is an ignition power and is what the sensor should be powered by on the tahoe. Any switched 12v source will do if you cant find the 19 pin on the pcm. It was a pink wire on my truck.
The last on the flex fuel sensor is the actual wire which tells the pcm what content its seeing. This is pin 56 on the pcm.

Thats basically all you need to run a Flex fuel Pcm in a gen 3 vehicle. Now on to pictures of the install and diagrams.

Here is the sensor with my connector and the an fittings that attach to the fuel line.
Attachment 606436

Pin 19 is seen here as ignition voltage.
Attachment 606437

Here is the power for the sensor, You can see it runs off of the ignition voltage from pin 19.

Attachment 606438

Flex fuel sensor connector view. As you can see its only 3 wires.

Attachment 606439

Everything installed and wired. I ran out of wire wrap so it looks ugly now but im going to get more this week. And also dont mind the dirty and crazy injector harness.... But its in and runs amazing!
Attachment 606440
Attachment 606441

Overall this was very worth it. Being able to run any fuel is very cool.
hey I pm me you check email
Old 02-19-2018, 04:56 PM
Staging Lane

Has anyone had any issues with TPS not showing signal? Im getting voltage, ground, at the sensor but in HPTuners it wont show any TPS. The segment that has been swapped was the 02 Tahoe 5.3 with Flex fuel, segment swapped the fuel portion only.

Should I segment swap more than just fuel to be getting TPS to work?

Z
Old 02-22-2018, 01:47 PM
07V
Teching In

Originally Posted by tictakman
Has anyone had any issues with TPS not showing signal? Im getting voltage, ground, at the sensor but in HPTuners it wont show any TPS. The segment that has been swapped was the 02 Tahoe 5.3 with Flex fuel, segment swapped the fuel portion only.

Should I segment swap more than just fuel to be getting TPS to work?

Z
What was your original OS? I just wrote entire for the 2002 Tahoe flex OS and copied my stuff over and it worked flawlessly (except for a weird issue with the battery light being caused by system options). If your original OS used an electronic throttle body for example, then that would certainly cause weird issues with the TPS, seeing as the 2002 Tahoe flex OS was DBC, not DBW.The only other thing I could think of is incorrect wiring/pinning. Like I said, I wrote entire though, I'd recommend you do too. Worked great for me!
Old 02-26-2018, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

The tuner used the 02 tahoe flex os as well but from what he told me, just the fuel. thats where i think the problem is and I told him originally he needs to do more.

In the meantime I had him use the 0411 ecu, as soon as he hooked it up the TPS came back on line.

Im paying this guy to tune the car and now he doesnt want to get the 059 ecu to work, guess Im at his capability limits and need to find another tuner.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:53 AM
07V
Teching In

Originally Posted by tictakman
The tuner used the 02 tahoe flex os as well but from what he told me, just the fuel. thats where i think the problem is and I told him originally he needs to do more.

In the meantime I had him use the 0411 ecu, as soon as he hooked it up the TPS came back on line.

Im paying this guy to tune the car and now he doesnt want to get the 059 ecu to work, guess Im at his capability limits and need to find another tuner.
wait. If he’s using the 2002 Tahoe flex OS then he HAS to use the 411. You can’t put a p01 tune file on a p59 computer. The computers speak different languages, they aren’t compatible. You can totally put a 2005 avalanche flex tune on a p59 though! Just be careful of that because those have DBW stuff. If you need a p59 that’s capable of driving a DBC throttle body and flex fuel then go for OS 12592618, it can run everything you want. Also you need to tell your tuner that segment swapping won’t ever work. In order to have correct flex fuel capabilities, you have to start from scratch. If he wants to segment swap, tell him to write the new flex tune, then segment swap all your old stuff back over EXCEPT for fuel. He needs to, you know, actually look at that stuff and change things since it’s different lol.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:34 PM
On The Tree

I seriously need a better tuner lol none in my area seem to even wanna try this
Old 03-03-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooze_1
I seriously need a better tuner lol none in my area seem to even wanna try this
Tune it yourself? It's great fun!
Old 03-05-2018, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07V

wait. If he’s using the 2002 Tahoe flex OS then he HAS to use the 411. You can’t put a p01 tune file on a p59 computer. The computers speak different languages, they aren’t compatible. You can totally put a 2005 avalanche flex tune on a p59 though! Just be careful of that because those have DBW stuff. If you need a p59 that’s capable of driving a DBC throttle body and flex fuel then go for OS 12592618, it can run everything you want. Also you need to tell your tuner that segment swapping won’t ever work. In order to have correct flex fuel capabilities, you have to start from scratch. If he wants to segment swap, tell him to write the new flex tune, then segment swap all your old stuff back over EXCEPT for fuel. He needs to, you know, actually look at that stuff and change things since it’s different lol.
This tuner at 360 customs is a joke. I told him just get the street tune on the 411 ecu and I would get the 059 working later for flex fuel. The guy didnt know what he was doing and I didnt want to leave the car there any longer.

He was using the tahoe segment in the 059...or at least trying. I told and gave him the information in order to do the correct segment swap but he didnt use any of my suggestions. Waste of money for me, 360 customs...
Old 04-02-2018, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a P59 in my 2000 f-body. Fuel gauge seems to work correctly, but the tach is slow very slow to respond. If you smack the throttle the tach barley moves. If you rev the engine and hold it, it will come up to the proper RPM after a little bit. Also the oil pressure gauge works its way to 0 after driving for 10-15 minutes.

Any ideas on how to resolve these issues? Think its something in the tune or a wiring change i need to make?

I'm using the P59 because i want flex fuel, 3 bar and DBC.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by yzriders182
I have a P59 in my 2000 f-body. Fuel gauge seems to work correctly, but the tach is slow very slow to respond. If you smack the throttle the tach barley moves. If you rev the engine and hold it, it will come up to the proper RPM after a little bit. Also the oil pressure gauge works its way to 0 after driving for 10-15 minutes.

Any ideas on how to resolve these issues? Think its something in the tune or a wiring change i need to make?

I'm using the P59 because i want flex fuel, 3 bar and DBC.
Tach is because of the missing pull-up resistor.

Oil pressure goes via discrete signal and has nothing to do with the pcm.

Have you looked at your cam bearings?
Old 04-02-2018, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Yes i looked at my cam bearings. i drove the car for 20 minutes after it hit 0 psi on the gauge with no issues. I don't think it is really dropping oil pressure.

How do you add the pull-up resistor?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,

I swapped my P411 with a P59, everything works good and run flexfuel like a charm, but ASR Off and Service Vehicle (not the SES, so no DTC) are light on.

2004 P59
2006 Hummer H2 OS
Camaro Z28 2000

any idea?
Old 04-21-2018, 04:20 PM
07V
Teching In

Check your system options maybe
Old 04-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07V
Check your system options maybe
Like what?

Everything worked great with the P411
Old 04-21-2018, 07:36 PM
07V
Teching In

In hptuners go into system>General>system options and make sure the matrix is filled out correctly. When I switched to the Tahoe OS, I got an alternator light and a change engine oil light. I switched the tune back and forth twice to make sure it was that and it was, for sure. It turned out to be that system options matrix. There are options in there that modify everything about the OS like alternator terminals, DBC vs DBW, brake tqmgmt, all sorts of stuff.

you should also check the speedo options. Make sure your car doesn’t think it’s a hummer with 20” wheels or whatever. If you post your tune (I think you still have to use Dropbox or google docs or something external) I can look at it when I get home.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07V
In hptuners go into system>General>system options and make sure the matrix is filled out correctly. When I switched to the Tahoe OS, I got an alternator light and a change engine oil light. I switched the tune back and forth twice to make sure it was that and it was, for sure. It turned out to be that system options matrix. There are options in there that modify everything about the OS like alternator terminals, DBC vs DBW, brake tqmgmt, all sorts of stuff.

you should also check the speedo options. Make sure your car doesn’t think it’s a hummer with 20” wheels or whatever. If you post your tune (I think you still have to use Dropbox or google docs or something external) I can look at it when I get home.
Hi,

Sorry for the late answer. So the "Matrix" is filled well like on the P01. Everything is setup for Camaro setting (wheels, rear end etc.). I try to repin the "Ignition retard signal" from 53 red (Camaro) to 12 green (2004 GTO), nothing. Any idea? Everything work well on the P01 with the tune. Thanks

There's a screenshot from my tuner (I don't have the files) :

Old 06-24-2018, 02:53 PM
07V
Teching In

The best I can tell you would be to drive it to a pro tuner and ask their opinion. You’ve officially gone over my head with the ASR stuff. I’m sorry man, I asked around and can’t get any more info. It seems like most amateur people’s knowledge runs out after the engine portion. For other stuff like ASR and active handling it’s sort of voodoo. Sorry man 😕
Old 06-24-2018, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 07V
The best I can tell you would be to drive it to a pro tuner and ask their opinion. You’ve officially gone over my head with the ASR stuff. I’m sorry man, I asked around and can’t get any more info. It seems like most amateur people’s knowledge runs out after the engine portion. For other stuff like ASR and active handling it’s sort of voodoo. Sorry man 😕
It was a pro-tuner, and the only one in France and for him it's more like wiring stuff than tune. Thanks anyway
Old 06-25-2018, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Guillaume Malaquin
Hi,

Sorry for the late answer. So the "Matrix" is filled well like on the P01. Everything is setup for Camaro setting (wheels, rear end etc.). I try to repin the "Ignition retard signal" from 53 red (Camaro) to 12 green (2004 GTO), nothing. Any idea? Everything work well on the P01 with the tune. Thanks

There's a screenshot from my tuner (I don't have the files) :

i am having the same issue. I know that there is another wire you may need to pin in that is different. I believe it is the cruise disable. I was going to try this when i had the time. Its blue 86 on the gto pin out, i cant find a pin out for the camaro that labels it the same but it might be red 83(cruise inhibit) i was going to look at the wiring diagrams for both and compare

Last edited by maroonls1z; 06-25-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Gen III Flex fuel Write-up