Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible tune issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 05:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible tune issue?

Installed a B&M srteet/strip 4L60E and 2400 holeshot converter. First converter had issues so I sent it back, they said it was bad and sent a new one. Same problem exists. Lockup @60mph unlocks under load (goin up hill) and locks/unlocks over and over. After 70mph no lock what so evrt. Beginning to think a tune issue. I have the factory tune still. Specs are 98 Trans Am A4/BBK LT's/BBK ORY/ bosch 13111 O2's/magnaflow Yback/ 323 rear and K&N FIPK.
heres a video. 1998 Trans-AM A4 TCC lockup issues.:
Anyone think this is tune or mechanical? FYI- new coils/brake switch/o2's/plugs are Tr55 gapped accordingly. Engine runs like a top, line pressure is good in the trans and 1st gear and 2nd are fine. Just 30mph lockup in 3rd or 4th surges in and out of lock.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Teching In

Srry about the background noise, tool box in the back incase something explodes...
Old 07-11-2014, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

Do you have HPT or access to HPT?
Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

for what its worth when i installed a 4000 stall in my old 4l60 i ran on the stock tune for a good 6 months with no issue. i doubt its a tune issue, 2400 isnt much bigger than factory
Old 07-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Sorry about the post, did a current and misfire history for 3 days and showed 1 misfire in 250 miles of stop and go traffic. Got some extra PID's installed to show Converter slippage and it showed the standard amount except for after lockup. After lockup it was less than 100rpm @3k rpm and did not slip, but would still free rev like my 4l60E was a CVT. Checked temps with another new PID for the transmission... 237 degrees F after 30 minutes of stop and go (85 degree weather). Installed a supercooler this weekend from B&M. Everything is good until i hit about 209 degrees then it starts acting up. Turns out after receiving a defective Torque converter (out of balance) the first time, i ALSO received a defective Transmission. Both from B&M. They sent a new converter, i installed it and now 4th gear is generating an excessive amount of heat, Now i get to do the trans job for the 3rd time.... That "lock and unlock" in the video is actually 4th gear being a slushy. 800 miles on the trans and its toast. The out of balance converter is most likely the culprit. Crappy thing is i called them the day i started it for the first time after the trans install and said the converter was out of balance due to it shaking my car so hard, they said that isn't possible as they balance and dyno everything before it leaves...send the converter back after getting a p1870 and they tell me needle Bering failure due to out of balance..lol
Now to top it all off, the pan is leaking ALL over my driveway from every corner and the fill plug. lets see if they will pay the freight this time, this is getting old. Been dealing with Trans problems since late Feb of this year.

Quick Reply: possible tune issue?