PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to tuning - buying used handheld? mail order tunes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to tuning - buying used handheld? mail order tunes?

I recently picked up a 1999 Camaro SS 6 speed.
I will be installing a Z06 intake manifold, speed engineering long tube headers + ypipe, catback, intake lid and removing AIR/EGR system. Other than the removal of the AIR/EGR system causing an engine light, is there any real need to have a tune with these bolt ons?

Would a mail-order tune suffice if I simply tell the tuner what mods I had done, or should I be doing data logging and sending that to the tuner?

For a mail order tune, do I get a tune file and upload it with a hand held, or do I need to send them a backup PCM for them to load the tune to?

Can I purchase a handheld tuner used, or are they generally locked to a specific vehicle they were first used on? Do they require additional user licenses when used? I was thinking of getting an HP Tuners hand-held.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most handhelds will marry to the vehicle they are tuned to, ours unlock when you put the stock tune back in.

The device you mentioned is far from a handheld tuner, i'd dig into that a bit more as it may not be what you are expecting, its a full tuning suite that you use to create your own tunes from scratch.

Thanks

Quick Reply: new to tuning - buying used handheld? mail order tunes?