Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E38 Tuning Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default E38 Tuning Help

I have tried this over on the hptuner's board with no luck so I thought I would reach out to my LS1Tech brethren and request a little assistance...

The car is an 07 Cadillac CTS V with Eforce blower, custom cam (218/238 .598/.615 120 LSA +2 degrees), LSA heads, Kooks 1 7/8" headers, hi flow cats, Corsa cat back, and upgraded (large) heat exchanger and pump. I am currently trying to finalize the MAF tuning. I am currently running MAF only open loop (for calibration) and I have been at this a WHILE. However, without fail the car runs rich on initial startup and lean if I let it heat soak (short stops and restarts, stop and go traffic).

I am beginning to think that the issue is related to my separation of the IAT sensor from the MAF. The Edelbrock kit moved the IAT sensor to the TMAP sensor they provided but it heatsoaked horribly in that location. I built a thermistor based IAT sensor, did the recalibration in the tune, and installed it beyond the intercooler on the driver's side port in the blower. This seems to track with intake charge temp MUCH more closely. For some reason though I am still getting the AFR going lean (lambda 1 will go to lambda 1.08 in some cases) as the IAT diverges from ambient.

I began logging things like intake valve temp and injector tip temp but the changes in AFR do not seem to track with these variables. The AFR divergence doesn't seem to track with ECT either. I thought maybe the cylinder charge temperature bias might help but I believe this is only used in SD mode (need confirmation of this).

Anyway the tune and a couple of logs are attached. If you have any ideas PLEASE let me know. This thing has me whipped
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
20`14 Aug 3 0718.hpl (267.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: hpl
20`14 Aug 3 0740.hpl (214.5 KB, 56 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Tune was too big for upload trying something...
Old 08-03-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry about that but I had to zip the tune to get it to upload. If anyone has any issue getting it unzipped (probably not) just let me know and I will PM or email it to you.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not an expert here and don't have your stock tune to compare to, but I am surprised that the transients are disabled. Might try putting the open loop and open loop gains tables back to stock also.
Not sure what you did with that IAT sensor but those IAT temps in the 80s cant be right on an eforce unless the car was just started.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The IATs track with the heat exchanger coolant temps (measured via laser thermometer). I have a MUCH LARGER heat exchanger and pump on the system. IATs typically run within 12 degrees of ambient.

The tables were disabled to eliminate some of the variables. They will be re-enabled once the AFR settles out. Specifically on the transient table, I am not logging the transient AFR because of filtering in the histogram. Filters are based on throttle position and MAP.

Thanks for the inputs though.
Old 12-03-2015, 09:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure this out? Any more info on how you built a thermistor based IAT sensor? thanks
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you zero out the bias tables?
Old 01-12-2016, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I'd personally look into your B1 oxygen sensor problems. W/B is showing lambda so my guess it's in the B2 side. At one point your short terms are +30 on B1.

Quick Reply: E38 Tuning Help