Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No rpm in HPT scanner

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 06:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No rpm in HPT scanner

This is a new setup that I do have idling (barely) and have no rpm reading in the scanner table display. I haven't tried to get into tuning until I get an rpm signal. The engine rpm PID is selected and all the others read properly when the engine is idling.

Its an 84 Z28 with a L96 and vvt-4 cam, ls3 intake etc. I have tried various tach output settings in the editor but still no rpm readout. I also tried an obdii reader and it won't read rpm either. I also tried another ecm thinking I may have fried something but no change.

The tune file has just some idle changes so far, the idle is very high, just to get it to stay idling while I get the stft's zero'd.

Any help as to why RPM is not reading would be greatly appreciated. I have no tach installed yet.

I did post on the HPT forum but have received no response.

There are no DTC's showing.

Last edited by Jime; 08-15-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Ok its been over a month now and no responses. In the meantime I have installed a new crank sensor, verified it is outputting signal to ecm using hz and voltage on my multimeter. I am also getting a reading on the rpm sensor out of the ecm to tach. I have gone over the ground connectors from the ecu to engine and have just now tried another PC and ECM and still have no rpm reading.

The engine will run after cranking for about 10-15 secs and will rev. I am reading the injector pulse width, o2 sensors but no RPM.

HELP!!!
Old 10-03-2014, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Post up your config for your scanner here and hp tuners and you will get an answer.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:55 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

Try reloading the VCM suite from the HPT site. Yours may be corrupted
Old 10-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Teching In

Ok, so I finally got an rpm signal. It was the crank sensor, I did buy another one from China and it made no difference so I figured it was ok and my problem was elsewhere. However after proving the wiring was ok it only left the sensor so I bought another one from a local vendor and all is well. I can finally start tuning.

Quick Reply: No rpm in HPT scanner