Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed density tune or not...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
No, as I said, the PCM has to see a MAF failure to revert to SD mode. But you can disable the SES for the DTC. For codes P0101, 102, and 103 set to no SES enabled.
So going this route I can pass inspection?
Old 10-23-2014, 01:24 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't know. If they fail you for failed codes, then I guess it's possible. Is the MAF considered an emissions thing in NY? It's just for airflow readings. Once you tune the car's VE table, it reads from the table based on MAP and RPM vs the MAF. So the fueling isn't going to be way out of line... If it was you'd burn up a piston or wash down the rings.

This is one reason I like Florida. I could drive a back-halved car on the street and they wouldn't care. They'd pull me over to talk to me about it.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

I don't know. If they fail you for failed codes, then I guess it's possible. Is the MAF considered an emissions thing in NY? It's just for airflow readings. Once you tune the car's VE table, it reads from the table based on MAP and RPM vs the MAF. So the fueling isn't going to be way out of line... If it was you'd burn up a piston or wash down the rings.

This is one reason I like Florida. I could drive a back-halved car on the street and they wouldn't care. They'd pull me over to talk to me about it.
I'm not sure if they will fail it and I'm not about to ask my tuner. I don't wanna **** my tuner off because he insisted it will fail. I'm just trying to educate myself. Maybe one day I'll buy HP tuners pro and have it inspected with the MAF and go back to SD after they put the new sticker on.

Thanks for all the feedback guys
Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ K
What? There has to be a maf code to be in speed density.

Russ Kemp
You can fail the MAF setting the fail mode to "FAIL ON FIRST ERROR" and uncheck the "SES ENABLE" box. I have done it many times and it works. Doing it this way the PCM sets the MAF code and reverts to SD mode, but will not report the DTC to a scan tool. The DTC is active just not visible to a scanner.
If you set the fail mode to "NO ERROR REPORTED" it will not fail the maf and will never revert to SD. This is different

I don't know how this affects the readiness monitors or if you can pass emissions.

This
No, as I said, the PCM has to see a MAF failure to revert to SD mode. But you can disable the SES for the DTC. For codes P0101, 102, and 103 set to no SES enabled.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
You can fail the MAF setting the fail mode to "FAIL ON FIRST ERROR" and uncheck the "SES ENABLE" box. I have done it many times and it works. Doing it this way the PCM sets the MAF code and reverts to SD mode, but will not report the DTC to a scan tool. The DTC is active just not visible to a scanner.
If you set the fail mode to "NO ERROR REPORTED" it will not fail the maf and will never revert to SD. This is different

I don't know how this affects the readiness monitors or if you can pass emissions.
That just disables the check engine light. A scan tool will still see the Maf DTC.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

No, that would be the "NO MIL LIGHT" error mode
Old 10-23-2014, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For SD to work, you must set DTCs for P0101/102/103 to 0 - MIL on First Error or 2 - No MIL light. 1 - MIL on Second Error can cause problems. 3 - No Error Reported won't fail the MAF and force SD. SES Enable can be checked or not, doesn't matter.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

1-MIL is how I had mine. It sometimes takes a moment to start with that. I'd recommend 0 or 2. The preferred method is actually setting to 2-No MIL light. I don't know if a scan of the DTCs will read an error if 2 is selected?
Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

1-MIL is how I had mine. It sometimes takes a moment to start with that. I'd recommend 0 or 2. The preferred method is actually setting to 2-No MIL light. I don't know if a scan of the DTCs will read an error if 2 is selected?
Yes if you set it to 2-No Mil Light, the DTC will be present using a scan tool or a simple code reader. The CEL will not turn on but the code will be present.

I have found setting MAF codes to MIL on first error makes for easier starts after a battery disconnect. No Mil Light sometimes takes a few tries to start the engine. However, once the MAF code is set it will start without issue until the battery is unplugged or the PCM is flashed.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, it just doesn't matter if you set the Maf DTC to mil on 1st error, 2nd error or no mil light. As that will still set the Maf DTC and will default to speed density. Changing when the Mil light comes on or not is just that, nothing to do when the code sets.

And to be in SD, there has to be a Maf code, doesn't matter if the Mil light is on or off.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-24-2014, 02:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

I believe if you go to the DTC screen in hp tuners while it's running, it will tell you if the readiness monitors are happy.
You can also try a normal scan tool that shows the monitors condition.

I believe inspection simply looks for the check engine light, and checks the monitors.

Unless they are getting smarter, they wouldn't know what the DTC means. There are certainly DTC's the PCM sets but don't illuminate the CEL in the factory tune.

If you have visual inspection, leave the MAF in. Worried about a flow restriction, gut it.

Ron
Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 AM
11 Second Club

I'll see if I can call the shop that does my inspection today. They don't pop the hood or look under the car. Just plug and go lol.

What I do know is that if the car does fail the information goes directly to NYS and you have so many days to get it fixed. No way around it. The computer is tied directly into their systems.

Last edited by scotty2000ss; 10-24-2014 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:12 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

If the CEL isn't illuminated, you're going to be fine.

If I was you, personally, get it inspected NOW, then have your tuber simply take the literal 5 seconds to swap it to SD, and be on your merry way.

Once the tune is dialed in, it's dialed in. The tune itself doesn't change going MAF or SD, or back again.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you correctly set it up for speed density you wont have any dtc codes. belive it or not in 93 the z28 Camaro was speed density from the factory. speed density is nothing new. car will operate just fine and emissions wont change.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
if you correctly set it up for speed density you wont have any dtc codes. belive it or not in 93 the z28 Camaro was speed density from the factory. speed density is nothing new. car will operate just fine and emissions wont change.
How do you correctly set it up for speed density...?
Old 10-29-2014, 08:25 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
How do you correctly set it up for speed density...?
See post #24
Old 10-30-2014, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
See post #24
I was asking 82cetuner specifically.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

( in post #24, you will still get a MAF DTC )
Old 10-30-2014, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
( in post #24, you will still get a MAF DTC )
No, you will not.

As a matter of fact, tomorrow I'm going to set up a 3 BAR SD tune for a turbo car. I can show you it won'tset a MAF DTC while in full SD

Quick Reply: Speed density tune or not...