PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats needed when buying HPtuners?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Whats needed when buying HPtuners?

I'm going to purchase HPtuners and attempt to tune my own vehicles and a few friends. I'm completely new to this so bare with me. What exactly am I going to need to start. I see on the HPtuners sight a VCMsuite and a VCMscanner. Do I need both or just the VCMsuite. I all ready have a laptop and I know I'll need a wideband and I've all ready ordered the Masport master efi book. What else would be useful for somebody new to this? Also when using the wideband do I just remove one stock 02 sensor and plug in the wideband or do I need some sort of tailpipe attachment? Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I'd get the hp tuners pro, the scanner is included. Get a decent wideband O2. I have the book you mentioned and it should be enough to get you started. Don't be shocked if you spend hour upon hour searching for answers to simple questions. Hp tuners forum is your friend, use it before asking. If you can find someone to help you out at first it will speed up the learning curve. Good luck
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

What would be a good wideband. I was looking at the ngk afx and the lm1. I like the cig lighter adapter on the lm1.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 AM

ngk is a good unit ive been using them for years on atv and sleds and drag cars very accurate and easy to use and setupm you will need to add a bung to the exhaust but its included in the kit just run over to an exhaust shop have them install it up front someplace either in the headed or close the collector and your all set
Old 10-23-2014, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

I use an Innovate LC2, works well and is easy to install. We use an Innovate LM at work, works good. Never heard anything bad about the NGK or the Fast WB's. Pick one that fits your needs and budget.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd certainly get the Pro version. That's what I bought and it's nice software. Plus "easy" for the wideband hookup.

I started about 1.5 years ago, and have spent COUNTLESS hours working with the software and searching.

Nobody in my area or within my circle of hot-rodders knows anything about it, so it's been an uphill battle. Frustrating for simple things like correctly scaling the wideband input and figuring out which ignition table the engine is using during which phase of operation.

In 10 years I don't see factory PCM's and all the headaches being very popular when companies like Holley are really stepping up to the plate with their engine management systems. Most of us don't need 200 tables for what we're doing.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
I'm going to purchase HPtuners and attempt to tune my own vehicles and a few friends. I'm completely new to this so bare with me. What exactly am I going to need to start. I see on the HPtuners sight a VCMsuite and a VCMscanner. Do I need both or just the VCMsuite. I all ready have a laptop and I know I'll need a wideband and I've all ready ordered the Masport master efi book. What else would be useful for somebody new to this? Also when using the wideband do I just remove one stock 02 sensor and plug in the wideband or do I need some sort of tailpipe attachment? Thanks
As mentioned, the VCM Suite includes the scanner. I would spend the extra $150 for the Pro, as it allows the wide band to be wired directly to the Pro interface. The VCM Suite comes with 8 credits, so you can tune 4 different vehicles as many times as you want, plus the enhanced operating system for 1, 2 & 3 bar speed density is now free.

And yes, just remove one of the front O2 sensors to install the wideband.

Russ Kemp
Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

VCM Suite Pro is the way to go.

I'd also pick up a Ballenger AFR500 with the NTK wideband sensor. It's the same as the NGK PowerDex, which is one of the best in the ~$300 price point. NGK went to a second gen unit with a different design, but I wanted the PowerDex. So I picked up the Ballenger unit.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I've had good luck with the HP Tuners Pro and Innovate LC-2 wideband. I tried the non-pro HP Tuners, but I wasn't comfortable with the wideband input work-around.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:02 AM
10 Second Club

Just ordered the Pro and the NGK/NTK wideband. We'll see what happens in a few days.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Very good choice, you will not be disappointed. I have the exact same setup and I've been tuning my car and a bunch of friends cars for a few years now.

Quick Reply: Whats needed when buying HPtuners?