Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0102 - MAF troubleshooting and results inside

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0102 - MAF troubleshooting and results inside

I'm posting this up to hopefully help other LS guys and also people who might be using EFI Live or HP Tuners to troubleshoot issues.

I bought a used 2002 LS1 formula firebird, 6sp, 103k mi. I checked the car at the dealer and the scan tool showed no issues, however I later found out that they must have cleared the codes.

Soon as I started driving the car it started throwing all sorts of codes, the most persistent one being P0102 MAF sensor low frequency. For the first time in a while, the code actually told me exactly what was wrong (though I didn't believe it at first). After following all of the diagnostics online I had read to determine if the wiring is bad (I have several wires that have failed to my headlights and cig outlets so I assumed this was the issue). I found 5v at the connector and the ground seemed to check out fine. I wiggled the connector and still the 12 and 5 v signal was solid, it appeared like no issues in the wiring.

I logged the car running with EFI Live and noticed a VERY jagged reading coming from the MAF at idle and throughout the flows. My mind jumped to maybe a stuck valve, PCV, lifter, etc but I ruled some of those out with a nice solid MAP reading, smooth idle, and still pretty strong power even in SD mode.

I finally broke down and picked up a reman MAF on Amazon.
Amazon.com: Cardone 74-8308 Remanufactured Mass Airflow Sensor (MAFS): Automotive Amazon.com: Cardone 74-8308 Remanufactured Mass Airflow Sensor (MAFS): Automotive
For $76 it was worth a try. Normally I buy new but I didn't want this car to become a money pit.

Plugged it in and cleared the codes. Viola! Problem solved!

After a quick rip on the car, there was a HUGE improvement with responsiveness, fuel trims were back in line, idle was much smoother, and the log confirmed the maf was bad.

I was reading 2-3gms per sec idling with the old sensor, jumping up to over 7. New sensor is around 15gm/sec and then as it warmed up, it drifted down to about 6-7gms/sec which is in line with what people have been saying is normal.

Here are the pics of the logs before and after the MAF replacement, this should help future guys that are troubleshooting a bad maf with EFI Live or HP tuners.

Now that this problem is solved, I can start planning for the cam upgrade over the winter
Attached Thumbnails P0102 - MAF troubleshooting and results inside-picture-badmaf.jpg   P0102 - MAF troubleshooting and results inside-picture-goodmaf.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Good job
Old 12-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice find. Some times the hot wires In the sensor get dirty and desensitized. Especially if it has a k&n filter. The oil can get on the wires and attract all sorts of crap. I use brake clean to clean them up.

Quick Reply: P0102 - MAF troubleshooting and results inside