PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No TPS signal at pcm pins- Can you repair the pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No TPS signal at pcm pins- Can you repair the pcm?

I've got a 99 camaro pcm (Frost mail order tune) powering my ls1 swapped monte carlo. It's been issue free for the past 4-5 years, until recently. Started running poorly- bad throttle response, lacking power etc. Eventually scanned it- no telltale codes, however while monitoring data PIDS in the shop I noticed the computer sees 0% TPS signal. (cable throttle body) Doesnt matter if its WOT, idle, KOEO or anything. The sensor checked out as ok during ohm/graphing sweep check. I replaced it with a known good to test. Same result. I have the signal all the way to the PCM pins. I believe a resistor or something internal to the pcm is burnt causing this issue. What are my repair issues? Can it be fixed, or do I need to find another PCM and have it reflashed all over again. Thanks
Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

At first I thought you had a he classic accidental mix up of the TPS and Temp plugs. It sounds like you do have an ECM problem. I would only think that because you say you have verified signal back to the correct PCM pin which wouldn't be the case if you'd u had them mixed up. I will stay tuned for the fix. Good luck to you.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Not to ask a ruhtard question, but did you test for signal @ the 5v. reference to the TPS while the engine was off ignition on? Did it show 5v? Next check the ground to the sensor if I remember correctly that also goes into the ECM but I think it is shared with all those connected to that 5v. The signal wire could be short to ground also so test continuity there also before calling out the ECU. Start with cheap/free troubleshooting trees, I learned that QUICKLY.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've only heard of a few bad PCM's but they do happen on rare occasion. I have one from an otherwise stock (catback, cold air and tune) car that lost the ability to fire cylinder 5 when hot. I swapped it with a spare PCM and haven't had a problem since.

Have you tried a spare PCM? Granted I have several spare PCM's and LSx powered vehicles so I was able to interchange known good parts without much issue.

As far as repairing it, I'm not sure of anyone who does.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Staging Lane

I did check for a good ground and 5v reference while the vehicle was KOEO. Also had good sensor output all the way back to the pcm. I'm going to borrow a friends pcm just to plug in and see if I have signal. if I do- I know I have to culprit. I need to get this damn car straightened out again. Between never ending ford 9" problems, and this recent pcm issue it's been disheartening

Quick Reply: No TPS signal at pcm pins- Can you repair the pcm?