Sponsored by:

Reconfiguring O2 sensor input

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reconfiguring O2 sensor input

Hey guys,

I am swapping in a LS4 into my 82 Delorean. The LS4 is from a fwd application so the two headers join with a crossover. This is where the "upstream" o2 sensor is. After the exhaust is joined it travels through a single down pipe and cat. After the cat is the "downstream" o2. So both sensors are on the same bank.

I am not using the crossover pipe. I will be running 2 separate banks, therefore needing an 02 sensor in each bank.

My question is, can I relocate the upstream and downstream 02 sensors to both be upstream sensors on bank 1 and 2? I am tuning with HPTuners.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you using the E40 PCM from the FWD vehicle? If so, then the engine is a 24x/1x engine. Writing an entire calibration from a RWD conventional O2 sensor vehicle would probably work...if you wired things accordingly...but I've seen things get sketchy with the E40 in particular when doing this.

Since it's a 24x engine, you could use a more conventional 0411 PCM to run it, and wire it like a 2001-2002 F-Body. Might make things easier.

Did you want to keep the drive by wire?
Old 12-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Yes, I am using the E40 ecm. It is the last of the Gen3s as I understand.
I want to keep the drive by wire. I also wanted to retain the DoD, and it would be possible but I really didnt want to go thru the effort getting all the sensors and tcm setup properly. But the option is there in case I want to get it working in the future. So this functionality coupled with the fact I spent the money on the wiring harness and ecm forces me to keep it haha.

In hindsight, I probably should have just gone with the 0411. Things would be MUCH easier in terms of simplicity and support/documentation.

If it makes any difference I have 2 wideband 02s I can hook up to replace the existing sensors? Innovative LC2.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jschatte
Yes, I am using the E40 ecm. It is the last of the Gen3s as I understand.
I want to keep the drive by wire. I also wanted to retain the DoD, and it would be possible but I really didnt want to go thru the effort getting all the sensors and tcm setup properly. But the option is there in case I want to get it working in the future. So this functionality coupled with the fact I spent the money on the wiring harness and ecm forces me to keep it haha.

In hindsight, I probably should have just gone with the 0411. Things would be MUCH easier in terms of simplicity and support/documentation.

If it makes any difference I have 2 wideband 02s I can hook up to replace the existing sensors? Innovative LC2.
It's technically a Gen 4. The E40 came out for the first Gen 4 engines (the LS2 for example)...those engines still had the 24x 1x setup, but they switched quickly to 58x 4x and the E40 died and was replaced with the E38 and E67.

If you want to keep the DoD, you will need to keep an E40 PCM. I honestly don't know if you can reconfigure the O2 inputs from the FWD OS though, sorry.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
It's technically a Gen 4. The E40 came out for the first Gen 4 engines (the LS2 for example)...those engines still had the 24x 1x setup, but they switched quickly to 58x 4x and the E40 died and was replaced with the E38 and E67.

If you want to keep the DoD, you will need to keep an E40 PCM. I honestly don't know if you can reconfigure the O2 inputs from the FWD OS though, sorry.
Ok, thanks for the reply anyway!

Ill just run an 02 in one bank for now and disable the downstream one. Im thinking of reflashing to a LH8 is going to my best bet (after researching what you mentioned) but i will have to swap timing covers. But I can do that later, it should run fine in the meantime.

You did mention this may be un-reliable to flash to a different vehicle. Could you share your experiences?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2014, 01:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jschatte
Ok, thanks for the reply anyway!

Ill just run an 02 in one bank for now and disable the downstream one. Im thinking of reflashing to a LH8 is going to my best bet (after researching what you mentioned) but i will have to swap timing covers. But I can do that later, it should run fine in the meantime.

You did mention this may be un-reliable to flash to a different vehicle. Could you share your experiences?

Thanks!
Why not just flash a GTO os to your pcm. Regardless youll still need to move pins around but then youll have bank 1 and 2 adjustment

Quick Reply: Reconfiguring O2 sensor input