Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for an LT1 tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for an LT1 tuner?

Looking at my options for tuning my 96 trans am LT1. I've been looking forward to tuning it ever since I bought the vehicle. I know the 96-97 pcms are OBDII and are usually a little more pricey, so what I want to know is what are my options for tuning software+programmer for a LT1? should I fork out the cash and go 24x conversion? I've never tuned a car before so any and all recommendations are welcome. Also are their any freeware OBDII scanner and data logging programs out there on the web?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your only options for tuning 96-97 LT1 PCMs are LT1Edit and JET DST (formerly Tunercat OBD2). Neither come with a scanner. You can swap the PCM for a 94-95 OBD1 and use Tunercat OBD1 or Tuner Pro (free). You loose some features like misfire detection and catalyst monitoring but the tuning software and OBD1 cable is cheaper. Plus there are some free or low cost data logging options you can use on OBD1. I've never worked on a 24x converted car so all I know about it is that it seems pretty pricey to convert to it. Then you still have to buy a OBD2 tuner like HP Tuners.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for an LT1 tuner?