Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blinking service engine light only while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blinking service engine light only while driving

Guys I searched around the forum cant seem to find the answer. So I just bought a 99 Camaro, was sitting for 3 years since all work was done just started here and there and taken around the block if that. So I got it registered, needed a maf and tps sensor all done, I did disconnect battery the night before I did the maf, put new maf on hooked up battery still had a code for tps, it was cracked, replaced it and now it runs good. Car runs like a raped ape from a dead stop, spins 1st to third, but from a roll kinda sluggish, and when im cruising in 6th and go to speed up it chugs a lot like a vibration and when im doing 70 plus the light starts blinking and when I slow down under 70 is goes away. any help would be great?
Old 01-18-2015, 06:52 AM
8 Second Club

Received 700 Likes on 441 Posts

Flashing CEL is usually a P0300 random misfire code.

It will be stored as a history code in the ECU.

Ron
Old 01-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

so how do you find out exactly what it is? If it was a coil pack would the light stay on? how do I figure out whats making this happen
Old 01-18-2015, 10:44 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like stated above, the flushing light means that its misfiring. If it only does it under light load ( freeway ) most likey a bad wire or a crack in a spark plug. Its called a spark jump. Go to a autozone or your auto parts store that will pull codes for you, Free
Old 01-18-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A scanner that shows individual cylinder misfire counts can narrow it down for you.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if its random not likely that its one plug,wire or coil
to make matters more complicated can even be fuel related
did you remove all old fuel ,flush the tank,lines and injectors?
todays fuel does nasty things when sitting even 6 months
Old 01-18-2015, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you will need to get some data looked at. (If he had a scanner he would not be asking) If you get only a po300 code then you will have to pay to get it diagnosed
Old 01-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

I have a scanner put only pulled the tps code which I replaced. Will drive car around with scanner hooked up and see if I can look at the individual cylinders and see a misfire. My scanner is ancient though but ill try

I have a wide band in the car and it reads normal when the light is blinking, 14.2, its in the green.

btw thanks for the replys a lot of helpful info from you guys thanks a lot.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 PM
Staging Lane

okay so bank 1 senor 1 o2 was bad, well heater malfunction but was only reading 5.34 on the scanner. Then I have a misfire in cylinder 1.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 895 Likes on 637 Posts

A flashing CEL is a damaging catalyst misfire which means it's missing so much it's dumping fuel into the cat. However lack of fuel will also cause a flashing CEL. All the PCM sees is that it's missing, it doesn't know or care why. I can't remember what the misfire value has to hit before it starts flashing.

If it sat for three years I would probably lean towards a dirty injector. What does that plug look like?

If it is an injector you could trying running Seafoam in the fuel or BG's KKK fuel treatment if you know someone that works at a shop with a BG guy.

If you do determine it is fuel I would either have an injector cleaning done on the car or take them off and have them cleaned/flowed.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

after more scanning and driving around with the scanner turned out to be a major misfire on number 8cyl leading to a sparkplug wire being fallen off and burnt. I have the original metal heat shileds around the spark plug and the wire was just laying in it, arcing in it and burning a hole in my wire boot. Needless to say, put a new wire on, no issues, car runs good, pulls very hard, light went away, no misfires.

Quick Reply: blinking service engine light only while driving