PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

various chevy ecm's, features, differences, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default various chevy ecm's, features, differences, etc.

First off i am new to tuning but have found it very interesting so far.
I have taken beginner and advanced gm tuning with hpt from The Tuning School, and so far that is my only experience, hoping to keep learning gaining more experience though.

So far my tuning experience has led me to believe that the chevy ecms are very flexible and capable computers. However i can see that they are not created equal, some have some have the capability to change commanded afr for boost using a boost table while others do not. etc.

Does anyone here have information on which computers are capable of running which engines, what the basic features/differences are of those computers, and what applications they are capable of?
(i am thinking things like some ecm's use VVE, some VE, some have boost PE tables some don't, ect, ect.)

I have done some digging here and elsewhere but haven't found any direct answers to these questions.
Is this something that is known or is it something that i will have to pick up from simply tuning enough different vehicles that i am familiar with various ecms?

my specific interest is the possibility of setting up a pigtail to run a hp tuners compatible ecm on my dd which is a '85 toyota MR2 4age(i know it may sound ridicules but i want a relatively cheap way to actually tune something my self and get comfortable with the whole tuning process, of getting my hands "dirty") and whether any ecms can be edited to run 4 cylinders as i have seen the option to edit the number of cylinders under the engine-general tab in hpt

Any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

Quick Reply: various chevy ecm's, features, differences, etc.