Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confusing Lean Code Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confusing Lean Code Problem

Stock LS1 swapped into my 2000 S10 pickup.

I have had a codes PO171 and PO174 (I know, a lot of threads on those and I have read most). I've done a lot of research on this subject and have not found a solution. All intake gaskets have been replaced, and I have visually inspected all PCV hoses and they do not appear to be leaking.

I was using the stock aluminum LS1 MAF, and after reading that it could be the MAF causing the codes, I swapped it out with the MAF from the 4.3L V6 from the motor I pulled out of the truck. The MAFs look identical except the 4.3 MAF is slightly smaller diameter. After putting the 4.3 MAF on (had it on for approx 400 miles) the codes never came back on. That lead me to believe that my LS1 MAF was bad. No problem, ordered a new Delphi MAF for an LS1 (the new plastic variation), now I am getting the same lean codes every time I drive it again. Have put approx 100 miles on it since new MAF.

I am at a loss. I am lead to believe it is not a vacuum leak because no codes were shown while using the 4.3 MAF. Maybe the new LS1 MAF I bought is faulty? Possibly, but seems unlikely.

Does anyone have any suggested remedies or tests?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have long tube headers in the mix, those often
make the O2 sensors go sleepy at idle. Start with a
scan (after resetting all codes) and look for normal
sensor waveforms, just to be sure something isn't bad
about the swap wiring or a fuse blown etc.

Sleepy or dead O2 sensors cause false trimming that
the PCM interprets as lean, even though actual mixture
is not.

Your MAF would have to be a real turd to bend the
trims 25%. Only time I've seen this from a MAF was with
swapping an 85mm onto an untuned car and this gave a
rich code, not lean.
Old 04-28-2015, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ever tune the maf? Or are you swapping out the part and not changing the lookup tables?
Old 04-28-2015, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What is the fuel pressure measured at the rail? I see more fuel pressure issues on swaps than any other problem. Also is it still using a return system like the S10 4.3 would of had? Is the LS1 fuel rail return or returnless. Most were returnless but early Vette LS1s used return fuel rails. What year LS1 injectors are being used and with what year LS1 pcm? Lots of differences. Give more details on all the parts used including vehicle type and year the parts came from. Do you have tuning ability? And don't try and use the 4.3L MAF any more. Find and fix the real problem.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If you have long tube headers in the mix, those often
make the O2 sensors go sleepy at idle. Start with a
scan (after resetting all codes) and look for normal
sensor waveforms, just to be sure something isn't bad
about the swap wiring or a fuse blown etc.

Sleepy or dead O2 sensors cause false trimming that
the PCM interprets as lean, even though actual mixture
is not.

Your MAF would have to be a real turd to bend the
trims 25%. Only time I've seen this from a MAF was with
swapping an 85mm onto an untuned car and this gave a
rich code, not lean.
No long tubes, just short sanderson style swap headers. Also only running 2 O2 sensors, but the company that built my harness/tuned my PCM was aware. I just have a cheap little bluetooth OBDII reader I use to read/clear codes. I"m unsure if it shows me that info, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
Did you ever tune the maf? Or are you swapping out the part and not changing the lookup tables?
Before completing the swap, I sent the PCM to my harness builder to reprogram it for my swap based on the engine/truck info. So it should be tuned to work with the stock LS1 maf. I don't have tuning capabilities.

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
What is the fuel pressure measured at the rail? I see more fuel pressure issues on swaps than any other problem. Also is it still using a return system like the S10 4.3 would of had? Is the LS1 fuel rail return or returnless. Most were returnless but early Vette LS1s used return fuel rails. What year LS1 injectors are being used and with what year LS1 pcm? Lots of differences. Give more details on all the parts used including vehicle type and year the parts came from. Do you have tuning ability? And don't try and use the 4.3L MAF any more. Find and fix the real problem.
Had a rail mounted gauge, and it read 55-60psi at idle, I removed it a while back so I don't remember the exact pressure. It is using the returnless rail with the Corvette style filter/regulator. Motor is from 02 f-body, with stock injectors. I do not have tuning ability at this time. Yeah, I'm thinking I need to find a good tuner and see about getting the truck tuned and fix this problem.

Thanks for the input guys!

Quick Reply: Confusing Lean Code Problem