Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

good "universal" scan tool

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default good "universal" scan tool

I'm looking for a good universal scan tool. It doesn't need to be anything too fancy, but I want it to pull and delete codes. I'll be using it a lot on my 2001 Nissan Frontier. I don't know much about these scan tools, but I have been told some aren't very specific. I would like it to be as specific as possible (I want it to diagnose the code/problem) without breaking the bank. I know some cost well less than $50, and I don't need anything that cheap. I really don't see the need to spend more than $200 or so. Any suggestions?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Go to auto zone and have them pull the code for free. Add in Google and you've got everything you need.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:36 AM

Received 388 Likes on 297 Posts

I have bought several Harbor Freight scanners when they are on sale (around $100) for myself and others. They are pretty universal. However, they just show you the code number and a short description for the common ones.
As mentioned, Google "Nissan Code xxx" to learn more about what it means and perhaps even "Nissan 2001 Frontier code xxx" for details pertaining to your car.

Yes, there are expensive scanners that have more info built in, but it will never be specific to your car and not even 1% as useful as a Google search.

Quick Reply: good "universal" scan tool