PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Replacing Narrowband with Wideband

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015 | 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Default Replacing Narrowband with Wideband

When I get my engine together I'd like to replace the front narrowband O2 sensors with Bosch widebands but still have a narrowband signal go to the ECM with the wideband signal going to the gauge and data logging. I am using EFI Live.

I have seen a few products that will convert the wideband signal to narrowband but not sure what to go with. Looking for recommendations on what truly works. Accuracy for the tuning is very important but ensuring the ECM is getting the right signal is also important.

So post up your experiences (the good and the bad) so I can find a good direction to head on the project. By the way, the car is a 2011 Camaro getting an ERL 427 Superdeck, 11.5:1 compression, ARH LTs, Vararam intake running through a TR6060. Thanks.

Travis
Old 01-30-2015 | 02:09 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I'm not sure widebands are any more accurate in the narrow lamda range than the narrowbands. They may be less-so. Plus they burn out much, much sooner. Typically, you run your narrowbands and datalog them along with the wideband(s) with the tuning software. At least that's what I do.

ARH I believe will put additional bungs for the widebands in the headers. Kooks did that for mine.

Although, if anyone has done it and has interesting results to share, I'd be game to listen.
Old 01-30-2015 | 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
I'm not sure widebands are any more accurate in the narrow lamda range than the narrowbands. They may be less-so. Plus they burn out much, much sooner. Typically, you run your narrowbands and datalog them along with the wideband(s) with the tuning software. At least that's what I do.

ARH I believe will put additional bungs for the widebands in the headers. Kooks did that for mine.

Although, if anyone has done it and has interesting results to share, I'd be game to listen.
Yeah the headers are a hold over from a previous build and while I could, and may have to, add bungs for the widebands, I'd like to be able to swap the wideband in the narrowband place. If adding bungs properly was not a problem I would probably be less interested in replacing the narrowband. Welding new bungs into stainless steel requires shielding gas on the inside of the pipe as well to prevent poor well quality and corrosion problems.

As for the wideband accuracy, the new Bosch 4.9 sensors are supposed to be much more accurate and durable.
Old 01-30-2015 | 04:04 PM

The AEM wideband/Gauge kit has an option to output a narrowband signal. However you cannot output both a narrowband signal to the PCM and a wideband signal to HPT.

I have the stock narrowband in the headers and the wideband sensors in the short extensions between the headers and my 3" exhaust pipes. I didn't worry about the Stainless Steel issue - SS exhaust pipe are still magnetic and therefore closer to plain steel than you might think. I drilled the extension myself and a welding shop 1 min from my office welded in the bungs in 2 minutes for $5.
Old 01-30-2015 | 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mrvedit
The AEM wideband/Gauge kit has an option to output a narrowband signal. However you cannot output both a narrowband signal to the PCM and a wideband signal to HPT.

I have the stock narrowband in the headers and the wideband sensors in the short extensions between the headers and my 3" exhaust pipes. I didn't worry about the Stainless Steel issue - SS exhaust pipe are still magnetic and therefore closer to plain steel than you might think. I drilled the extension myself and a welding shop 1 min from my office welded in the bungs in 2 minutes for $5.
Well perhaps I should take a second look it up just adding the wideband. It's beginning to sound like it might be easier and messing with a wideband converted signal.
Old 02-07-2015 | 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

For example, Innovate's LC-1 has two programmable analog outputs, one is configured for 0-5V analog wideband signal, the other is configured for 0-1100mV NBO2 analog signal to the PCM.

And if you have EFILive V2, you can read the wideband lambda using serial comms, so you only need to deal with the NBO2 signal to the PCM... the AEM wideband has a serial comms output (depending on which model), and mrvedit says it has the ability to output an NBO2 analog signal.

Post the AEM's user manual pdf here (or what model AEM wideband do you have...?).
Old 02-07-2015 | 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

See pic:
Attached Thumbnails Replacing Narrowband with Wideband-efilive-wideband-serial-comms.jpg  
Old 02-07-2015 | 10:22 PM
Teching In

I did this on my LT1 with the AEM Wide band gauges. I highly discourage this since the AEM have almost a half a second of lag and i would get random lagging and surging.

http://www.2gnt.com/documents/teklei...d_Shootout.pdf
Old 04-28-2015 | 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

Back from the dead as the build continues. Decided to dump the HF Cats as I was concerned about the heat on the road course. Since I am doing this, I've got new off-road pipes coming from ARH with extra bungs in them for the widebands. Leaning heavily toward the new Innovate Motorsports DLG-1 wideband so I can read both banks simultaneously and serial out to EFI Live. Joecar is EFI Live supporting the new Innovate gauge? Any recommendations on this setup? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Replacing Narrowband with Wideband