PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Notes from FAST bank/bank standalone computer install

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if Im wrong, but didnt people have trouble burning up stock coils using the F.A.S.T. systems on LS1's? Does your method/buck-o-parts circumvent that issue?
Old 06-01-2004, 04:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea under the hood looked fine to me it was this pic that I was refering to.

Old 06-01-2004, 04:13 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,149 Likes on 747 Posts

Some of those wires are factory wires for the dash cluster, like oil pressure.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:15 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Guido I have a set of truck coils in backup.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Whistler or Kurt, either of you have the breakdown for the following stuff?

FAST IAC
FAST TPS
FAST CAM

Which wires are which? Ie. the color = what?
Old 06-02-2004, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IAC= A-red B-blue C-black D-yellow
TPS= A-red B-white C-black
CAM= A-yellow B-black C-pink

Kurt
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Whistler or Kurt, either of you have the breakdown for the following stuff?

FAST IAC
FAST TPS
FAST CAM

Which wires are which? Ie. the color = what?
Old 06-02-2004, 01:57 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Thanks Kurt!
Old 06-02-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow , My fast system was alot easyer to install. I just cut the stock wires and crimped the fast wires directly to them. I installed crimps on each of the wire ends and then put them into a connector. Then just pluged everything together. Took me about 8 hours.(i was able to do most of it at work) But now if and when i need to remove the system i can just unplug it.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:23 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

6/3/04 Update:

I'm only able to work on the car at night after work so I ran over to Lee Auto Parts and got some heat shrink tubing and then went over the abandoned meth lab.

First thing we did was we removed the connectors that I won't be using, which were the base crank connector and cam connector. The crank sensor for the LS1 setup has to go into the FAST crank decoder box (hereafter referred to the "crank box"). The crank sensor has 3 wires stock, and these three are three of the seven wires for the crank box. One wire is power (red), another is ground (black), and there are two other wires that go into the FAST.

We also removed the cam sensor connector. For the LS1 setup, the cam sensor is directly plumbed into the eDIST. The eDIST has either 30 or 32 pinouts on it. Off the top of my head the LS1 will use maybe 20 of those wires, maybe 24. The cam sensor wires go into the eDIST, as do the coil wires. Only one wire will go from the eDIST to the FAST.

Next step was to address the sensors in the back of the block, so I could put the intake back on. Behind the intake are:
-cam sensor, bolted into block, 10mm
-oil pressure sensor
-stock map sensor, attached to the back of the intake
-hvac hose, pushes onto nipple on back of the intake on the passenger side

Map: Since I went to a 3 bar map sensor, I have the GM 3 bar attached to the FAST connector and then the hose for that is on what was the intake pcv inlet. So the factory map sensor will not be reused and will stay there.

Oil Pressure: We stripped the connector out of the harness, and it's ready to be re-attached to the harness in the passenger side footwell.

Cam sensor: Stripped that out of the harness, it's very long and has a relay on it, a little surprise. We routed that, and plugged it in.

I then put the LS6 intake manifold back on and reattached most of the things like the pcv, map to brake booster, throttle cable, etc. I did not torque the intake because I can't remember the torque specs offhand, 22 or 25 inch lbs?

I then...

IAT: Z8's already spliced that, so I just plugged it back in
H20: Or as we like to call it, the coolant temp sensor. For the hybrid Cartek setup I ran two coolant temp sensors, Z8's added one to the back of the passenger side cylinder head. Needless to say it's hard to get to but I plugged it back in. I noticed that whatever sensor Z8's used is different from the factory one, perhaps the one he added is a 99+? Now I'm not sure how I will get the dash coolant temp gauge to work, I might either be able to see how it was run to the harnesses in the passenger side footwell, see if the FAST has an output, or use my empty one on the driver's side head.

Crank sensor: Stripped that out of the harness. Has three wires. I originally tried to run the crank wire behind the engine on the passenger side but after trying that I did not like how the crank (and starter wire) had to run to the back and then more than a foot towards the front and then over the starter... Seemed like it would be problematic if I ever had to troubleshoot or pull the wires. So I ran the wires towards the front alongside that big cluster of wires and then up before the #2 header primary like where the a/c compressor would be.

Starter Wire: We ran that wire alongside the crank wired, loomed it all up etc., see the crank sensor info above. The starter wire plugs into it's own connector on the passenger side where those wires run down the front towards the battery. I plugged it back in voila.

Alternator wire: alternator has a 4 way connector and I removed it from the harness and I have to research how to reattach it.

IAC: Just have to solder the wires and it can be plugged back in.

TPS: Just have to solder the wires and it can be plugged back in.

Tach: FAST has an spot on that for the eDIST so the 5" tach and shiftlite will work, and maybe we can figure out which pinout it is in the factory harness.

eDIST: Tonight is the night.

Only thing that was not clear to me was where the black and brown crank box wires go into the FAST main harness.
Old 06-03-2004, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I debated cannibalizing the factory harness or buying new connectors. I think one could spend $100 to $200 buying new connectors for all the different stuff, maybe around $150. So in the end we just used the factory harness stuff. 90% of the solder points will be easily accessed so if there is ever a problem I can run new stuff in the future. But cutting the wires near the pcm gave us a lot of wire to use and in the case of the crank sensor it's very useful since I have 1.875 header primaries and there is no way I would run the starter or the crank wires in the factory location again.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad to hear Dragula is coming along nicely.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Additional info:

Crank - should be a 4 way connector in there, near the w/b 4 way:
B is brown/white off of crank box
D is black/white off of crank box
J3 is brown/white on main harness if I cannot find the 4 way
J2 is black/white

Cam - 3 way sensor
A - eDIST
B - black/pink ground, use J2 or the crank 4 way it's a good ground
C - switched power

eDIST
-wire in coil harness wires
-wire in cam signal input
-wire out cam output to main harness connector called 'points'

Final checklist:
-change crank angle to 60
-change to ls1 firing order in FAST
-unplug injector harness and check/compare base timing against the FAST (not sure what value is good, 10 degrees?)
Old 06-03-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

So you gonna write a FAST install guide for LS1s John?
Old 06-03-2004, 03:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Yes I am.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Last nite we installed LS1 connectors for:

IAC - all done and connected

TPS - all done and connected

H20 (Coolant) - all done and connected

IAT - all done and connected

MAP - 3 bar, all done and connected to the intake

Cam sensor - sensor is wired but no wired into eDIST

Crank sensor - sensor is wired but not attached to FAST

Oil Pressure - sensor is wired, ground to the back of the block, but not attached to the body harness yet

Starter wire - all hooked up, pulled it from the factory harness

HVAC hose - remove from factory harness and plugged in

Alternator - have not addressed

Fans - have not addressed but FAST has an input for this

Fuel pump - I already have it custom wired up but the FAST has an input for this

Tach - FAST has an input for this on the eDIST

Coolant gauge - Have not addressed I'd like to run a wire off the input to the FAST that would be nice but the sensor I am using is for a 99+ so I"m not sure if it will work with my 98 gauges
Old 06-04-2004, 12:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Punch list:

CAM Sensor - Need to attach A, B and C. One wire to eDIST for signal, one is switched power, and another is ground.

Crank Sensor - Need to finish it, three GM wires from the sensors are done but need to do power, ground, and the two other wires that go into the FAST main harness into J2 and J3.

Oil Pressure - Need to put a terminal connector on the signal wire, which is now routed to the passenger side footwell where the gauge connectors are, and pop that in.

Coolant Sensor - Not sure.

Alternator - Sounds like we need switched power for the one wire.

Fans - Just need to wire them into the main FAST harness

eDIST - Have to wire in the cam signal sensor and then make the coil harness. This will take most of the work, the rest will take less than an hour. Might mount the eDIST where the pcm used to be since it's difficult to run the coil connectors thru the firewall grommet AND the wires would be very long at that point.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

It runs!

We got the coil harness, eDIST, and main harness wiring done and then got the car running as a full standalone, no more factory pcm and engine control harness.

We had a delay due to the starter relay not getting a ground, so for now it's rigged up until we can drill down the problem a bit more. Also need to hook up the alternator and the fans. The alternator and fans should be pretty straightforward.

Last big project is syncing up the timing with the FAST timing. We worked on this for a while but we need to work on it next week. Have to sync up the actual timing with the FAST's timing. We will need to use a timing light for this.

Factory oil gauge is working, my Autometer tach is working. Should be able to get the factory tach, voltage and coolant gauges working too.

Huge ongoing thanks to:

Magnus (Keith from HP Tuners) - I suck at electrical stuff, and he excels at it. He has a ton of hours into the car, he is a great friend. Honestly, if Keith didn't know the LS1 harness inside and out, I would have trailered the car to W2W. Keith went thru his own harness a while back and removed the stuff he did not need. That knowledge has been invaluable.
Z8's - Did I call you four times today? Huge huge help. Talk about patient.
427 (Kurt from W2W) - Never would have gotten the car running without you.
Derty - Steve, you always have the answer.
Y2Khawk - Harlan helped us in 2-3 problem areas, and in the end helped Keith go thru the starter problem and helped us get the car started.

Still on track to make North vs. South!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!
Old 06-06-2004, 12:17 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Fun stuff.

Was nice to get advice from Kurt, Steve, Harlan, and of course as always Chris.

- Keith, hptuners.com
Old 06-06-2004, 04:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

How much is a Snapon timing light?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pro Stock John any idea on the release date on the ls1 crank decoder. I talked to fast and they said that the decoder would not be released for a few more weeks.

Quick Reply: Notes from FAST bank/bank standalone computer install