PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Open Headers.....Ok for 20 miles HWY....?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Driving Open Headers.....Ok for 20 miles HWY....?

Just curious if anything bad can happen if I do this....?

I have to install new headers on Saturday.....then Monday drive it to my exhaust shop to have the Y-Pipe re-connected to the new collectors.

Anyone have issues with running open header....?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Just curious if anything bad can happen if I do this....?

I have to install new headers on Saturday.....then Monday drive it to my exhaust shop to have the Y-Pipe re-connected to the new collectors.

Anyone have issues with running open header....?

If this is the only change made to the setup you should be fine. I'd unplug the o2 sensors completely. Then just baby it around.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
If this is the only change made to the setup you should be fine. I'd unplug the o2 sensors completely. Then just baby it around.
My rear 02 sensors are tuned out.

You are saying its ok to drive it 20 miles with the front 02 sensors Disconnected for the drive....?

What would/could happen if I do connect them?

My friend just told me that he can band clamp a 2 foot long 3" diameter straight pipe to each collector for the drive......should we do this...? If yes.....connect or disconnect the front 02 sensors....?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
My rear 02 sensors are tuned out.

You are saying its ok to drive it 20 miles with the front 02 sensors Disconnected for the drive....?

What would/could happen if I do connect them?

My friend just told me that he can band clamp a 2 foot long 3" diameter straight pipe to each collector for the drive......should we do this...? If yes.....connect or disconnect the front 02 sensors....?

I'm talking about the front o2 sensors.

If you disconnect them the car will run open loop. If you're MAF tuned(correctly) and absolutely nothing has changed in front of the MAF it will read airflow in open loop and you'll be fine. If you're SD tuned it'll run a little lean in open loop, but you'll be low load and low RPM so it won't hurt anything.

If you leave them connected then they may read massively lean and dump a ton of extra fuel washing out your cylinders.

The band clamp may or may not work. I (personally) wouldn't bother.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by eaglegoat
I'm talking about the front o2 sensors.

If you disconnect them the car will run open loop. If you're MAF tuned(correctly) and absolutely nothing has changed in front of the MAF it will read airflow in open loop and you'll be fine. If you're SD tuned it'll run a little lean in open loop, but you'll be low load and low RPM so it won't hurt anything.

If you leave them connected then they may read massively lean and dump a ton of extra fuel washing out your cylinders.

The band clamp may or may not work. I (personally) wouldn't bother.
Yes...I'm MAF tuned. Cool....I'll drive it to them open header......front 02 sensors unplugged.

Thanks....

Quick Reply: Driving Open Headers.....Ok for 20 miles HWY....?