PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune with one software, then adjust with another?

Old 07-13-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Lightbulb Tune with one software, then adjust with another?

If I use EFILive and let a shop tune my car with something else ... say, HPTuners, can you think of how that might adversely affect me down the line if I adjust the tune?

I know years ago one software might not see all the parameters that another would, so if something was modified by one that the other could not see, you would be stuck with a non-stock value for a parameter being adjusted.

Is that really an issue these days? Is it more about look and feel of the software ... the interface? Aren't software like EFILive and HPTuners pretty comprehensive about covering all the parameters, now?
Old 07-14-2015, 02:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb

I let my shop do my fueling on the dyno with HPTuners and I do everything else eg. Idle, part throttle, all timing, etc. with EFILive.

Much easier for me and more time efficient.

Plus my shops tuner isn't nearly as good with idle tuning or part throttle so it works out well for me.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:49 AM

Thank you for the input!
Old 07-14-2015, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are still a lot of tables that are mutually exclusive...HPTuners really put a lot of work into bettering their definition files, adding things people requested, adding support for more vehicles...EFILive has access to a few very important things that HPTuners still doesn't on the LS1 platform, but HPTuners has access to some very important things that EFILive doesn't have either.

As long as nobody locks your computer, or changes it to a custom operating system though, you're never going to be locked out of it, and when you make a change to a table with one that the other can't access...as long as you use the other to read the file back out before making any more changes, you won't overwrite it.

EFILive makes it a little easier to change operating systems between years and whatnot, which can cause licensing issues with HPTuners, but if you request their 2.25 beta software, you can get around that problem too.

I have both, and I prefer HPTuners...it's just easier to use...and the only thing I've been left wanting access to on the LS1 platform that I don't have with it is the ability to make it fail the MAF sensor faster when switching to an SD tune...I can make it happen basically instantly with EFILive. This only matters on a first startup after doing anything that clears codes...but it can be a pain in the butt on some cars.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Custom OS would probably be the big thing to avoid.
I have seen noone report on compatibility of any COS
between the two tools. And of course, no tuner lock -
ask before you let them touch, and flee if they want
to put the handcuffs on.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the extra info and great advice both of you.

I primarily did adjustment of the fuel, timing, shift points and idle.
When I killed the Iron Block, with those bigger heads, cubes and torque, when it locked up at track, the RPMs would overshoot the rev limit no matter what I did. I killed a couple trannies and eventually wore a bearing and camshaft lobe to where it would not retain adequate oil pressure.

I've since been told there is a diagnostic code that needs to be defeated or setting having to do with TPS, that was crippling the automatic Transmission function and causing the over-revs (let me see of I can find that info).

Ok .. a sponsor at te time. PerformaBuilt posted to me:
"We have seen this before. And it will kill the 3-4 clutch quick. I cant say this will fix yours but it has fixed a couple others when its come up. Customers of ours have reported back the fix is how I know about it.

Theres a setting to do with the TPS when you look at it you will see it is set at 60 move it up to 70 , in the few cases we have been involved in that solved it. It seems to happen on some cars with either larger MAFs or CAM and HEADS and LOOSE stalls. Its seems to vary a couple people I have run into with the issue it was intermittent or TRACK ONLY and a couple others it was any time they went WOT. Hope this helps.

I wish I could tell you exactly what the name of the setting is. But cannot remember but I told another guy about it a few weeks ago and when he looked he had no trouble finding it."
and

"I will try and get info, I think its this one but I am not sure,
Parm and Value: TPS Test Max MAP: 65
This is the upper MAP threshold to allow the TPS diagnostic tests to executed.
A failed TPS diagnostic test will set DTC P0121."
The whole post:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...ml#post9009968

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tune with one software, then adjust with another?