Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Vehicle light????

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2004, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service Vehicle light????

What turns on the Service Vehicle light? Could it be removal of the air bag control module under the console?
Old 06-08-2004, 09:08 AM
Teching In

Uh huh.

Any NON-EMISSION related PCM, BCM, ABS or other module fault will trigger the light.

I do hope you have removed the "airbags" - you now have shotgun shells pointing at you and your passenger without any safety or trigger....
Old 06-08-2004, 09:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by emarkay
Uh huh.

Any NON-EMISSION related PCM, BCM, ABS or other module fault will trigger the light.
Thank you very much! Is there any way to turn off the light (short of cutting a trace on the dash circuit board) ?

I do hope you have removed the "airbags" - you now have shotgun shells pointing at you and your passenger without any safety or trigger....
Yep. That is why I unplugged them long ago. That didn't turn on the light.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Where are all the airbag parts? I don't have the airbags in anymore but still have all the electronics associated with them that need to be removed. I know the one piece under the console (says Airbag on it ) but what about the sensors?
Old 06-08-2004, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
Where are all the airbag parts? I don't have the airbags in anymore but still have all the electronics associated with them that need to be removed. I know the one piece under the console (says Airbag on it ) but what about the sensors?
AFAIK, the module under the console is all of the electronics. I didn't find any other.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

there should be conlision sensors right (mounted in different places)?
Old 06-08-2004, 12:37 PM
10 Second Club

there should be conlision sensors right (mounted in different places)?
Not as far as I can tell. I saw no sign of other sensors and didn't see them on the schemi. My guess is an accelerometer (probably two axis) in the console module. That can sense collision in all four directions.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

umm...why would you even want to remove the airbags? Just curious.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TIMMEH
umm...why would you even want to remove the airbags? Just curious.
The primary reason is that I do not want them to go off - ever. I have seen more harm than good done by bags going off and personally think it is another misguided attempt to legislate safety.

The secondary reason is to save the weight
Old 06-08-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

The #1 reason airbags were created was because people were NOT wearing seatbelts . They were designed as a last ditch effort to save stupid people.

I had a friend who got in a minor accident (a hard fender bender) and would have been fine, but because the airbag deployed, it hit him in the face, he completely lost control of the car, and ended up with the car face planed in a ditch. Sustained FAR more injury from the airbag that the “wreck”.

I myself was in a wreck a little over a month ago in which I hit an interstate guard wall in excess of 55mph at a 45degree angle (not in my Camaro...in another car that had something brake). Because I was wearing my seatbelt I didn't move at all. To show how much good the airbag did, it JUST TAPPED my nose (gave me a rug burn....I was in NO way going to hit the steering wheel) but managed to take a nice line of shin out of my right arm. I walked away bleeding not from the wreck but from an airbag.

I DO NOT want airbags in any car I drive. I'm going to ALWAYS wear my seatbelt and would rather not get hit in the face/body with a big bag when I'm already having enough to worry about just controlling the car.

In short....Airbags are for stupid people who don't wear seat belts....if you wear a seat belt (and in my Camaros case a 5 point harness connected to a 6 point roll bar) then they are just there to injure you.

I know I'm up on my but this is something I feel REALLY strongly about!
Old 06-08-2004, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

I know I'm up on my but this is something I feel REALLY strongly about!
I was afraid about being religious or controversial, but I am in 1000% agreement. I always wear a belt.