Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Determining if a tune was performed

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 08:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Determining if a tune was performed

A couple years ago I bought a C10 with a swapped ls6 frankenstien GENIII motor and I've been considering a tune because I'm not sure if it was ever done. Are there any clues I could look for? I dont' wanna pay a few hundred bucks on a dyno tune if it's not needed. The previous owner was a trust fund kid and paid stupid money for the work on this truck but everything was poorly done and sloppy. I had to pull the heads and have them decked and what I found was heads are 243's, FAST intake manifold, YT's rockers/double springs, CAM is comp 222/224 .566/.568 LSA112. Exhaust is wide open 3", with truck manifold. It has a decent idle that sometimes dies shifting back and forth from reverse (auto 700r4). Its my daily driver and I don't race it but faster is always better when I'm tearing around town on my days off.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Find someone local to pull the tune and look at it. Probably won't charge ya
Old 09-01-2015, 05:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I would say with that cam it probably has a tune plus it is a swap vehicle. Since it was butchered and doesn't run correctly I would say you should get a tune. It will probably feel like a whole different vehicle and get better mpg.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

If you have HPTuners or similar, you can download a stock tune and compare the tune to yours.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
If you have HPTuners or similar, you can download a stock tune and compare the tune to yours.
I would freakin love HPtuners but it's intimidating and I don't want this motor to be my learning curve and screw it all up. I was considering switching to an atomic efi setup because it's more tuner friendly and I could do my own tuning after mods. I know it's expensive and I could have several dyno tunes done by the time I get to that $2400 price tag but I like doing my own work. I'm gonna keep researching HPtuners and see if I can learn it more this summer and maybe pull the trigger. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:05 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jayred
I would freakin love HPtuners but it's intimidating and I don't want this motor to be my learning curve and screw it all up. I was considering switching to an atomic efi setup because it's more tuner friendly and I could do my own tuning after mods. I know it's expensive and I could have several dyno tunes done by the time I get to that $2400 price tag but I like doing my own work. I'm gonna keep researching HPtuners and see if I can learn it more this summer and maybe pull the trigger. Thanks for the replies.
It is very intimidating, and it doesn't replace having someone you trust tune the car. Let's face it, guys like NicD can do in an hour what would take a novice months. But, you can then compare and contrast the stock tune against the new one to learn what was done and start asking questions. Over time, you can build up the knowledge to do more yourself - or at the very least recognize the stock tables and know it was messed with or not.
Old 09-06-2015, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The spark table is always the first place I would look to see if it has been tuned. Stock ls1 is only 19* WOT timing and most tuners go to 27-28* timing
Old 09-07-2015, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Easy w/ EFILIVE...
D/l the tune, open it, goto history tab, clik it. Every change that's in the tune will be listed.
HPT? Don't know, don't use it.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Get some tuning software. I use EFI Live. There is a learning curve but there are many helpful people and write ups/tutorials to learn from here and on the efi live forum. I have never used HPT so I can't really say much about it.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Determining if a tune was performed

If you look at the following tables (use compare function in the tunetool if you're not familiar with the stock LS1 F-car tables):

PE
PE Enable
OLFA
VE
HO Spark
LO Spark

These are the tables most usually edited.

Quick Reply: Determining if a tune was performed