Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommended ECU/PCM controller for Engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended ECU/PCM controller for Engine swap

Other than the factory controller setup, what is the recommended standalone Engine and Trans controller for doing a swap into another vehicle and wanting to keep it Fuel Injected and driving like stock. This would be for a 5.3 or 6.0 with just basic bolt ons.
Old 09-21-2015, 04:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Factory really would be the way to go. A PCM that can control the trans as well gets expensive. Looking at over $2k for the harness and everything you need.

Holley Dominator/HP
Pro EFI
AEM Infinity
MSD Atomic

Not all will control a trans.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exidous
Factory really would be the way to go. A PCM that can control the trans as well gets expensive. Looking at over $2k for the harness and everything you need.

Holley Dominator/HP
Pro EFI
AEM Infinity
MSD Atomic

Not all will control a trans.
If factory is the way to go then I'll get some wiring diagrams of my truck and one from whatever engine I get and go from there. Normally on engine swaps I would marry up all body equipment to engine equipment of the donor engine so hopefully I can do that here.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 910 Posts

What vehicle are you working on? The Dominator can do what you want ti to do and is easy to tune, but it's expensive.

If you had a manual trans, the HP system is very reasonably priced and would be my choice.

Andrew
Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
What vehicle are you working on? The Dominator can do what you want ti to do and is easy to tune, but it's expensive.

If you had a manual trans, the HP system is very reasonably priced and would be my choice.

Andrew
99 Dodge Dakota. Hoping to stay with inexpensive but complete options. would like to go Automatic with towing and such.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 2002 LS1 in my RX7 using the stock harness and PCM. It's a manual but could have done auto just as well. Wiring is pretty simple overall.

Hi/Lo gnd switched fan (one switched at a time never both)
Fuel pump pos switched (odd they did that)
12V batt (orange)
12v switched (pink)
Tach
MIL
A/C one gnd switched request input
VSS out tap purple wire to Dakota digital input.

Think that's about it.

If you really are staying stock/near stock there is absolutely no reason for an aftermarket unless you want to tune yourself. The Holley is user friendly, the stocker is not. The Dominator is necessary for auto control and super expensive when you add in the harness costs. $2400-$3000
Old 09-22-2015, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Exidous
I have a 2002 LS1 in my RX7 using the stock harness and PCM. It's a manual but could have done auto just as well. Wiring is pretty simple overall.

Hi/Lo gnd switched fan (one switched at a time never both)
Fuel pump pos switched (odd they did that)
12V batt (orange)
12v switched (pink)
Tach
MIL
A/C one gnd switched request input
VSS out tap purple wire to Dakota digital input.

Think that's about it.

If you really are staying stock/near stock there is absolutely no reason for an aftermarket unless you want to tune yourself. The Holley is user friendly, the stocker is not. The Dominator is necessary for auto control and super expensive when you add in the harness costs. $2400-$3000

Ok that sounds pretty reasonable along the lines of other engine swaps I've done in the past. Are there any decent Tach adapters? From what I've heard most swaps I've seen they use an aftermarket or leave it unhooked. I'd prefer to have as complete as possible.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine wired straight in. The rotary uses a 4 cyl pulse as does the LS1. Got lucky I suppose. I believe there is some adjustments in the PCM to alter the tach but I cannot remember for sure.

Quick Reply: Recommended ECU/PCM controller for Engine swap