Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fouled 02 help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,218 Likes on 782 Posts

Default Fouled 02 help!

Ok guys, I've done a lot of reading and still can't come to a conclusion on what is widely accepted as the "best" fix for my issue

I have an 02 f body, ls1, longtubes, ory, slp intake. Thats it. However, i keep burning up the front o2 sensors. The driver side is the one that always goes first. Drawing conclusions from what I've read, it seems that they don't get hot enough, which causes fuel trims to go way rich, which fouls out the sensor.

I know the sensor is bad, because when I hook up a scanner and look at live data, it is either pegged at a set voltage, or only bounces between a very small window of voltage rather than the typical 0-1v like it should.

Now that I have identified the problem, what the hell is the solution. Other than replacing the sensors every so often?

Also, is there any way to clean an old sensor, or once she's gone, she's gone?

I hope I gave enough info, hopin i can get the ol girl on the road and avoid pullin her into my shop every few months for a damn sensor!
Old 01-15-2016, 08:02 AM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you using O2 extension harnesses? What brand O2 sensors are you using? You shouldnt keep going through O2 sensors. Has it been tuned?
Old 01-15-2016, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm using corvette sensors. Denso brand.

Car has not been tuned (I feel my mods are too basic to necessitate a tune)

Thanks
Old 01-15-2016, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Try a bosch for the car and extension harnesses. I've only killed maybe 1 sensor in 5-6 years between 2 cars.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MaroonMonsterLS1
I'm using corvette sensors. Denso brand.

Car has not been tuned (I feel my mods are too basic to necessitate a tune)

Thanks
With no cats and untuned its going to go into cat protection mode and make it really rich at WOT.

Originally Posted by VandykeT/A
Try a bosch for the car and extension harnesses. I've only killed maybe 1 sensor in 5-6 years between 2 cars.
The denso sensors are much better IMO and its always better not to use aftermarket extensions. I could probably fill a 55 gallon drum full of bad bosch o2 sensors that I have seen in the last 11 years. I still buy bosch sometimes myself because they are hlaf the price sometimes but I dont run extension harness unless there is no other option.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Junkie

So is there any way to clean a fouled o2 or is your only option to pitch it and get a replacement?

Quick Reply: Fouled 02 help!