PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How should I go about tuning for an LQ4 swap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Default How should I go about tuning for an LQ4 swap?

Sorry if this is a noob question, I am more used to tuning fords. My 00 Trans am came with a 6.0L LQ4 in it and it's currently untuned. I has a factory LS1 cam in it. It's bogging down between 2-3K RPM and running pretty rich, which I am guessing is tune related.

Now here is my issue, with Ford, you buy an SCT from american muscle, they ask you whats done and they send you a bama canned tune. Not ideal, but it gets you running. I'm not really seeing this option with any of the GM sites.

Seems that everyone uses HP tuners or EFI live and does their own custom tuning. This doesn't work for me, those items are crazy expensive and quite honestly more options than I need.

The other option is sending my PCM out to be tuned, which I REALLY don't want to do because I don't want to be without my car for however long.

That leaves me with handhelds, which have custom tuning options in them, but will it be enough to get a 6.0L running decent? Or is there a place that sells a handheld and will also send a canned tune based on your mods?
Old 01-23-2016, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'm not sure the change from an lq4 to an ls1 cam should make you blog down in a narrow rpm range. Are there any other changes? Did the previous guy try to tune it himself maybe? (just offering suggestions) does it have the correct ecm for an lq4,cause if it's the original untuned ecm, everything will be wrong.

I know that some tuners with efilive can send you a programmer /data logger with a custom tune. You upload and then grab some data and mail it back to them and they can tweak the tune.

Are you planning on any future mods? I've personally had the most fun tuning my own car with efilive, maybe you'd like to go that route. Any who, Hope some of this helps.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JetMech442
Hey, I'm not sure the change from an lq4 to an ls1 cam should make you blog down in a narrow rpm range. Are there any other changes? Did the previous guy try to tune it himself maybe? (just offering suggestions) does it have the correct ecm for an lq4,cause if it's the original untuned ecm, everything will be wrong.

I know that some tuners with efilive can send you a programmer /data logger with a custom tune. You upload and then grab some data and mail it back to them and they can tweak the tune.

Are you planning on any future mods? I've personally had the most fun tuning my own car with efilive, maybe you'd like to go that route. Any who, Hope some of this helps.
No tuning that I am aware of, It's the original untuned LS1 ECM. MAF is clean, no codes, and the O2 sensors are functioning correctly, so I don't think it's an issue with the sensors. When it's cold, it doesn't bog as it's running a little bit richer. I can watch the fuel trims go from very rich to very lean when it's bogging.

That's why I am thinking that this is in the tune, changing compression ratios and displacement is probably messing with the system. If I do future mods, they will be of the bolt on variety, no cam swap is likely.

Looking like mail order tuning might be my best option.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

Yeah I would watch that "I can watch the fuel trims go from very rich to very lean when it's bogging." or you'll end up with a busted ringland or worse.

From what I have heard, there are some great mail order tune sponsors on here.

Please update what you choose, and how it works out.

Quick Reply: How should I go about tuning for an LQ4 swap?