Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is a wideband required?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default When is a wideband required?

First of all, I was not sure whether to post this in internal engine or tuning, so I apologize if I chose incorectly. Now, to business! I will (hopefully) be installing a cam relatively soon, and I was wondering if a wideband would be required to properly tune it or if it is recommended for some other reason, or just basically should I get one? Also, I have read conflicting views regarding placement of the wideband, and I was thinking that since I have true duals, I would just place my wideband (if you guys tell me I should get one ) just after the regular o2 in the drivers side header collector, as I had read that #7 is the lean cylinder and I woukd rather be a tad rich on passenger bank that a tad lean on drivers bank. However, others have said that it HAS to read both banks. If someone could clear that up, preferably with some facts, that would be great. Lastly, when I was looking at AEM's widebands on their website just now I came across a no weld o2 mount. Has anyone used or even heard of these? Are they a reliable alternative to pulling my header and having a bung welded in? If not, is it possible to weld in a bung with the header still on the car? Sorry for the long winded post, and thanks in advance!
Old 01-27-2016, 07:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I was wondering if a wideband would be required to properly tune
It is 100% required to tune an engine properly...even a completely stock one.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
It is 100% required to tune an engine properly...even a completely stock one.
Agreed. Without a wideband, you are just guessing.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
Agreed. Without a wideband, you are just guessing.
Not to mention leaving a good amount of power on the table by being too rich and/or potentially hurting your engine by going too lean.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

To answer in more detail. You need it to safely tune WOT, the O2's will keep you at a safe AFR for most other operating conditions.

You can tune your car fairly closely to dead on with your O2's at part throttle and idle for most mild to medium cams.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good deal! I'll be getting one then, as the cam I am currently set on is a little on the larger side... So if I installed it in the driver's side header collector, would my tuner be able to tune it accurately at WOT? Also, anyone know anything about the no weld mounts?

Quick Reply: When is a wideband required?