PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0161 Oxygen sensor code

Old 02-08-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default P0161 Oxygen sensor code

I've got an 04 CTS-V that I bought maggied. I sold the maggie off and returned the car to stock (right down to the cats/manifolds and airbox) but now I'm getting a p0161 code.

I've researched it and found that it could be the PCM, the cat or the o2 sensor itself.

From what I can tell, the down stream o2 sensors are supplied with a source voltage designed to heat the sensor up (i think) so I want to check this voltage to make sure the PCM is sending it and that the sensor is receiving it. Anybody know what kind of voltage I should be seeing at the sensor and how I should be metering it???

Also, the sensor isn't coming out without a fight so I thought maybe I could check the resistance on it to see if its still good or not before spending $60 on a replacement. Can you check an o2 sensor this way and if so, what kind of resistance would I be looking for?

If its getting the correct voltage and the sensor has the right range of resistance, would a bad cat throw a code like this or would it typically throw something else?

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/...1-P0161-page-1

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0161 Oxygen sensor code