Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The 2-3 shift "clunk"

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The 2-3 shift "clunk"

I thought I would post this in the tuning section. I have a freshly built performance A4 transmission in my Camaro. This transmission has the infamous 2-3 shift clunk at light throttle only. This is inherent from the performance parts installed. I know why its doing it, the 2-4 band is releasing sooner than the 3-4 clutches apply which causes the trans to freewheel for a split second then bang into 3rd gear. The downshift from 3-2 is the same.

What I am wondering is if there is something I can do to the transmission tune to minimize this condition. Line pressure, shift time, etc. I have HP tuners.
If anyone has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate the help!
thanks
Paul
Old 03-28-2016, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pcruiser73
I thought I would post this in the tuning section. I have a freshly built performance A4 transmission in my Camaro. This transmission has the infamous 2-3 shift clunk at light throttle only. This is inherent from the performance parts installed. I know why its doing it, the 2-4 band is releasing sooner than the 3-4 clutches apply which causes the trans to freewheel for a split second then bang into 3rd gear. The downshift from 3-2 is the same.

What I am wondering is if there is something I can do to the transmission tune to minimize this condition. Line pressure, shift time, etc. I have HP tuners.
If anyone has any experience with this I would greatly appreciate the help!
thanks
Paul
What are the trans values set at right now? If they are set at stock values and its banging in and out of gear, I would tend to believe its something in the rebuild.

Quick Reply: The 2-3 shift "clunk"