PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

frost tune, relearn after dead battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frost tune, relearn after dead battery?

hello,
I don't post in here often but I had a question and hoped you all could help.
I have a frost tuned pcm in my trans am (mail order tune) that I installed a few years ago. this winter while in storage my battery died.
today, I was able to jump start the car, but the engine revved HARD and repeatedly for a minute or so before I got worried and shut it down.
if I remember correctly, it ran like this the first time I started it after installing the tuned pcm, like it was doing a re learn or something? but its been so long I cant remember for sure.
wondering if im correct here, anyone else run across this? just wanted to be sure before I did any damage.

thanks in advance
Old 03-11-2016, 06:36 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Every time you install a tune, or disconnect the battery, all of the learned items like idle, airflow, fueling/fuel trims, emissions readiness tests, etc. all get erased/reset... It takes days/150+ miles to be put on for everything to be relearned by the PCM and settle back in again.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 03-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
Every time you install a tune, or disconnect the battery, all of the learned items like idle, airflow, fueling/fuel trims, emissions readiness tests, etc. all get erased/reset... It takes days/150+ miles to be put on for everything to be relearned by the PCM and settle back in again.
Yes, I knew that a relearn was necessary. Just wondering if the very high idle (I mean crazy) was normal after a can tune install
Old 03-11-2016, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Like Monte says, the Long term fuel and idle trims will reset to zero when the ECM looses power. The fact that your car runs poorly until it relearns the fuel trims indicate that the calibration is not very good. Certainly not a knock on the tuner, but when you get the opportunity you should have someone do a custom tune on your car.
Old 03-11-2016, 10:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

try the GM idle relearn process: http://www.obd2.com/support/reprog/d...learn_idle.pdf

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com

Quick Reply: frost tune, relearn after dead battery?