Sponsored by:

Help with 5.3 HPT tune with torqstorm supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Help with 5.3 HPT tune with torqstorm supercharger

Motor
Basically stock 99 5.3, LS6 blue valve springs, 72lb @ 58psi bosch injectors, Aeromotive FPR 1:1, GM 2 bar MAP sensor, torqustorm supercharger with 3" pulley. 160*F theromostat, HV LS1 water pump, Howe dual core performance Radiator and Mark IV fan with controller. The plugs are TR6 and I run the out of the box gap. I was told I would be around 10-12psi with a stock 5.3 and since It was making 2-2.5psi at 2k then I would say its going to be up there!

Electrical/sensors
Stock 99 harness, stock 99 5.3 PCM, converted to SD custom 2bar enhanced OP system.
Innovate PSB-1 (WB02 and boost gauge) - input 1
AEM fail safe meth flow gauge - input 2
All other gauges are speedhut revolution gauges and I'm getting some different readings esp from the coolant temp in the PCM and the speedhut gauge. Speedhut sensor in pass side head rear, OEM sensor in driver front head both are new sensors. I'm seeing a 10-20* difference between the two, OEM is reading 10-20* warmer than the speedhut.

I unlocked the stock PCM and saved the file, transferred everthing over to the new OP and then used some base files from HPT site to aid in setting everything up. tonight Ive actually just redone the whole file and starting fresh. But i'm uploading my log and tune from earlier today. I'm in open loop and disabled closed loop.

Here are my issues, all done in park (not in gear driving).

1.) MAP sensor reading is very confusing. I have my innovate PSB-1 gauge telling me for sure that at like 2,000 rpms I was seeing 2-2.5psi of boost yet HPT is showing very low kpa readings. like 35 kpa max, and if my boost gauge map sensor is showing my 2psi then that means I was closer to 110-115kpa. I have the MAP scaled to 200 kpa and the offset of 10.33 and in my scanner is showing a 2 bar PID. But all my logs show a 27-35kpa. Whats up with that?

2.) Due to the above I get a nice little lean situation when I get into boost so like 1-2.5psi boost I was in the 14:1 range I believe. You can look at my logs to be more accurate. but what do I need to increase in PE or in carb world (tip in) to richen things up when the throttle is pressed? I looked into the PE enrichment but OEM is showing like 40% TPS before enabled.

3.) starting fuel/cranking. Ive messed with the tables and coolant vs map tables and I'm not getting anywhere. When I go to start I hear and see my fuel pump prime for the 5 sec or so and then it stops. The Aeromotive FPR has never held fuel pressure once the pump stops... it literally falls right back down once it stops. So I'm not sure if its that but my engine just cranks and cranks for like 3 times before it kind wants to fire, then gets closer until it actually fires 3-4 turns later. I thought maybe increasing the fuel prime amount but none of the tunes I've looked at have it increased.

4.) Timing and VE, look at my tune and I'm shooting for 15* at WOT but my timing is all over the place along with the AFR. When I let off the gas you can hear the BOV whoosh and then the rpms die and then it recovers. I'm going to upload my new tune where the VE and timing tables have been completely reworked.

5.) In my logs the innovate WB02 shows up in the scan area and I've added it to the chart but its not showing up in the chart during the log run... can't figure out why.

I know tuning in park isn't great but I want to get it to a point where I can feel comfortable that I can drive it around on light throttle so I don't get stranded on the road.

Let me know what you guys think and be kind! I haven't tuned EFI since I was tuning my 383 HSR with the old MAF 165 TPI ECM.

Attached:
My last log (in the beginning/middle) I tested the fail safe of the PSB-1 which killed 4 injectors like DOD in case of overboost/lean AFR so theirs a dip... don't mind that lol.

Old tune (same as the one in the log)

New tune... everything different.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also When I'm idling with the stock 5.3 even with the supercharger I should be seeing way higher than 10inhg correct? I would think that these motors would pull a lot of vacuum at idle etc for brakes etc and given the low duration cam etc.

I think I'm going to put on a vacuum gauge next time to see what its actually pulling in vacuum vs what the MAP sensor is telling me.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well thanks for all the help guys lol.

I figured out my issue with the vacuum readings. I was running my boost/vacuum block to the TB (PCV nipple) and realized this was prob not getting engine vacuum. I reran the line to the top of the intake and I verified all is well now with that. I'm seeing 20" of vacuum at idle and no boost at 2,000 rpms in park.

Now on the tuning... I'm commanding 12.5:1 and I have disabled LTFT and STFT and just going at it with my wideband. Ive gotten idle pretty good at 12.5-12.8:1 with no help from the ECM, light throttle looks decent to in the low kpa ranges. I want to get it on the road and start logging. I disabled PE as well.

Currently I'm fighting a cold start issue. It cranks for a while (10s) then I let off and try to crank again... after 5s it will feel like its going to start and then it wont. I turn the key again and crank and it starts right up... its pretty rough tho. Looking at the logs its very confusing but it looks stupid lean at like 19-20:1 and then the wideband shows it going from 19-20:1 to 11:1 really quickly... as I'm in the car you can feel the car idling rough for those 5s that its rough and then it richens up and it all smooths out. For the life of me I can't figure it out. Ive tried to richen it up and lean it out via the crank VE tables but I can't get a bead on it. When the engine is warm the startup is much better and is only rough/lean on immediate startup for like 1s.

Can someone please take a look at my logs and let me know what I need to do? Or does someone have a Log file they can send that has all the updated hystograms for AFR % etc and how to convert all that to changes? My current Logs are now showing WB02 correctly. I'm kinda going by my 02mv as well to just point me in the right direction. In my cold start I'm seeing 200-300mV in the 100kpa-90kpa which tells me its prob lean as my WB02 is showing the same thing.

WHat do I need to richen or lean up the initial start/afterstart? I've played with the tables but nothing helps

Take a look at my most recent tune and my logs please! any help would be appreciated.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Why are you commanding 12.5 at idle?
Old 04-28-2016, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Why are you commanding 12.5 at idle?
I was following an HPT online tuning guide where it told me to put 1.17 in the Openloop FA vs coolant temp vs MAP. Starting at 86*F... which is a commanded 12.56:1. They said to do this so their is a built in safety when your tuning.

I know at idle it should be 14.7 or slightly leaner. Should I command 14.7 from 20-40kpa through the warmer temps? Say from 86*+?

I also figure I should command 12.5 off idle for the rest and then use PE and Boost enrichment for boost/WOT AFR tuning.

what do you think?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so I updated the EQ vs ECT and set it for 14.7 at idle and 12.5 for medium throttle and then 11.5 in the 95-100kpa ranges for boost coming in.

Reverted back to the stock cranking VE tables and such as they should be tuned much better for the 14.5:1 at idle. Cranked it over, 1 long crank and nothing, second crank was like 5s and same almost fire letting off, third crank was shorter and it eventually fired. It ran for a few seconds and then died. I was logging at the time for a short log. The wideband wasn't warmed up till a few seconds into the startup and then it dipped quickly from 20:1 to 10.4:1 roughly and then gradually leaned out from 10:1 to 20:1 and then the engine died. This is the start issue that I'm having except this is the first time the motor had died after being started.

I cranked it over again in a new log and it started but it was still pretty rough for like 10-15s before it warmed up and started to look run better. I've gotten it to a 14:5-14.7:1 at idle with no STFT or LTFT help. Next step is I will have to put it in drive and try to get some load on the motor for tuning.

Can't do that till I get insurance on it and still waiting from classic car insurance.

Attached is the short log of the startup incident.
Attached Files

Quick Reply: Help with 5.3 HPT tune with torqstorm supercharger