Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF Troubles? See issue below

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 03:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF Troubles? See issue below

Strange thing happened with my car on a road trip, drove about 100 miles,used cruise control, soon as I hit the city destination, my car started to hesitate and bog terribly with anything over 2500 rpm. I had to short shift to keep her going. Drove back home a few hours later and she was fine and back to the animal she is. New 383 with dyno tune.

Couple days later, drove to another city 150 miles away, used cruise control, about 1 hr in while on cruise control all of a sudden car just comes off of cruise control and won't accept any throttle. Just kind of bogs like the first road trip. Again limped it to my destination. Got to my destination and she ran fine again.

Next day drove home , did not use cruise control and she was fine. Hasn't happened since.

So, had my mechanic buddy come over with his 15,000 dollar snap on scanner and hooked it up. No codes and no codes stored. Only thing he noticed on all readings and sensors was the mass air meter was reading really high. Something to do with the number reading should be around the displacement of the engine. Mine is 6.3 litres now, so should be reading 6-9 whatever units. It was reading 12-13. We even cleaned it, no change. I guess the MAF should be reading same numberish from what the MAP sensor is asking for or something like that.

My wideband shows A/F ratio bang on for idle and WOT. Although, my exhaust does smell of gas at idle. No codes, no check engine lights.

Now I am wondering if the tune has caused the MAF to read that way on purpose, or it is indeed needing replacement.

Having said that, I have done some googling of a replacement MAF with a part number of 19207203. $189 US.

And since I am replacing it, is there any way I can get something better? Or does that require a re-tune/adjustment deal, or is there a way to get like say a bigger Z06 MAF (85 mm) and have it adjusted somehow to read for my car's current tune.

Thanks for any help tech.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You aren't going to see any performance gain from a different MAF sensor but you will have to re-tune if you get a different MAF sensor.

You could try leaving it alone until it goes stupid again. At that point, unplug the MAF and see if it runs better. That could help determine for sure if the MAF has an intermittent problem.

Quick Reply: MAF Troubles? See issue below