Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of my TERRIBLE experience with Livernois Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

Originally Posted by BooneSS13
if this thread it bothers you so much then why are you here?
Free entertainment
Old 07-16-2017, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if this thread it bothers you so much then why are you here?
If livernois is so terrible why do you keep using them?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ K
I'm not defending Livernois Motorsports. But on a manual trans 5th gen Camaro, there is no torque management when you turn off the traction control & stability control. The Maximum Torque Rpm vs Gear is at 6042 ft lbs stock, and the Torque Limit vs RPM > Max Torque for 1st through 6th has no effect.

That being said, I had to retune a customer's Livernois Motorsport H/C package on a 2006 GTO. It had a P0106 map code that they said was not tune related and very poor drive ability. The customer tried new map sensors, checked for vacuum leaks etc.

The cause of the P0106 was because of the lower vacuum from the cam, that they didn't disable the P0106 map test (very common when tuning for an aftermarket cam). The WOT AFR was as lean as 16.5! The spark tables, idle speed & High Maf table were all at stock values.

The only things that were changed was the skip shift was disabled, disabled cat tests, lowered the fan temp, and raised the speed limiter.

Russ Kemp
Wow....
Old 07-17-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Dude, I have no dog in this fight but Holy S. If they are so awful stop going to them. You're in a horrible position now, they hate and want you to go away. Get the fng hint. At this point it's hard for them or anyone else to think of you as anything but a whiny B. No offense.
I'd be a lot more concerned with the place that built my "forged" motor that was modified with an intake manifold and took a S. Where is your review of that place?
Old 07-17-2017, 11:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah I'll never do business with a tuner that locks tunes ever again

Any tuner that locks their tune does so to hide their shortcuts and shoddy work. I got fucked by Cartek who bricked my PCM by locking it without asking me or letting me know. I just bought another PCM, no way I'm going back those ********.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow.....sometimes you gotta let **** go and move on. There's no way I would want them to do anything for me if I thought I was wronged the way you obviously do.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Any tuner that locks their tune does so to hide their shortcuts and shoddy work. I got fucked by Cartek who bricked my PCM by locking it without asking me or letting me know. I just bought another PCM, no way I'm going back those ********.
Agreed anyone that locks tunes i would never go to. Plus if something happens to them or their business your stuck with a locked pcm. Frost who probably tunes more pcm's then anyone else doesn't lock his tunes.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6

Dude, I have no dog in this fight but Holy S. If they are so awful stop going to them. You're in a horrible position now, they hate and want you to go away. Get the fng hint. At this point it's hard for them or anyone else to think of you as anything but a whiny B. No offense.
I'd be a lot more concerned with the place that built my "forged" motor that was modified with an intake manifold and took a S. Where is your review of that place?
You're confused. Where did I ever say my forged motor failed? It's got almost 10k on it and is running perfectly fine. Engine builder did an excellent job and has no fault in this...... Also I said in a previous post my plans on going to another tuner and why it took so long if you paid attention. This thread is to document my experience with this tuner to give other Fellow LS owners a heads up on how they do business. If you don't like it and it bothers you as much as it obviously does, feel free to close out of this thread and look at something else. Btw cute meme, that was very creative of you

Last edited by BooneSS13; 07-21-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Wow.....sometimes you gotta let **** go and move on. There's no way I would want them to do anything for me if I thought I was wronged the way you obviously do.
Anytime I spend the money that I did I want that person/business to do what I paid for them to do. Figured it was worth a try before I spent another $500 just to have my car retuned. In the meantime I'll document the terrible customer service. The more people that know the better. I wish someone would've made a thread like this before I decided to do business with them. I know it's kinda repetitive which Is why I'm getting a new tuner next season. More than likely SpeedInc. I've heard good things about them so far
Old 07-21-2017, 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Agreed anyone that locks tunes i would never go to. Plus if something happens to them or their business your stuck with a locked pcm. Frost who probably tunes more pcm's then anyone else doesn't lock his tunes.
East Coast Supercharging, who does tons of tuning doesn't lock theirs either.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Look at it from the tuners side. Let's say you are really good at tuning Fords and have figured **** out that no one else has and you make money off that.

Would you want anyone to be able to copy your work/tune and go out and make money off the work and R&D you did?

Yes I can understand from a consumers point of view but you have to look at the other side too.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Look at it from the tuners side. Let's say you are really good at tuning Fords and have figured **** out that no one else has and you make money off that.

Would you want anyone to be able to copy your work/tune and go out and make money off the work and R&D you did?

Yes I can understand from a consumers point of view but you have to look at the other side too.
Yeah I can see that side if it too, but I believe the main issue with this whole locking tunes deal is that most If not all the tuners that do this DO NOT disclose that information to the customers prior to tuning. If you're going to lock someone else's property, they need to be informed BEFOREHAND that the ECU will be locked and all the repercussions. At that point if the customer wants to go along with the tune then they cannot complain. Instead they intentionally do not inform the customer unless asked.

And in Livernois Motorsports (and I'm sure a few others) case even when asked they give you a double speech answer (our software is so advanced etc.) which someone that's newer to this whole tuning thing wouldn't even understand.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,110 Likes on 2,425 Posts

THAT I agree with! One should be advised beforehand if the tuner he employs will lock the tune, NOT after the fact. The tune might be proprietary, BUT it is put in SOMEONE ELSE'S property. I would say there are some legal snags involved with locking a tune on someone's computer.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

That's the cop out response. "My tune is so amazing I don't want anyone to copy it". If the tune is so good the owner doesn't have a need to go to another shop to have the tune changed. Locking a tune is shady.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ddnspider
That's the cop out response. "My tune is so amazing I don't want anyone to copy it". If the tune is so good the owner doesn't have a need to go to another shop to have the tune changed. Locking a tune is shady.
100% Agreed!
Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by G Atsma
THAT I agree with! One should be advised beforehand if the tuner he employs will lock the tune, NOT after the fact. The tune might be proprietary, BUT it is put in SOMEONE ELSE'S property. I would say there are some legal snags involved with locking a tune on someone's computer.
I was thinking the same thing especially since they never have you sign any type of agreement.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

You do realize that those two statements actually have nothing to do with each other right? And you trying to connect the dots between the two to is ridiculous.

The first sentence states you don't want someone copying your work for profit.

The second has to do with the customer needing something changed. Maybe like a gear change?

You completely missed the whole freakin point.

Last edited by LilJayV10; 07-21-2017 at 08:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
You do realize that those two statements actually have nothing to do with each other right? And you trying to connect the dots between the two to is ridiculous.

The first sentence states you don't want copying your work for profit.

The second has to do with the customer needing something changed. Maybe like a gear change?

You completely missed the whole freakin point.
Actually I'm not, and apparently other people understand the post. The point is if the tuner is so great that the customer has no need to go anywhere else... then theres no tune to be stole.....and if the tuner is so lousy that he has to go somewhere else to get the car right...then nobody wants his tune anyways. In either case locking the tune does exactly crap except hide a bad tune.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually I'm not, and apparently other people understand the post. The point is if the tuner is so great that the customer has no need to go anywhere else... then theres no tune to be stole.....and if the tuner is so lousy that he has to go somewhere else to get the car right...then nobody wants his tune anyways. In either case locking the tune does exactly crap except hide a bad tune.

******* OTHER TUNERS STEAL YOUR TUNES AND USE THEM FOR PROFIT.

I mean how are you not seeing understanding this?

In one sentence you say if the tune is good he won't go somewhere else there is no tune to be stole.....yeah there is...the good ******* tune that's in the car.

Or do you think the only time people rip tunes from cars is when they take them somewhere else to be tuned?

Is your argument that if the tune is good, the person won't have a reason to go to another tuner and because of that, the tuner won't have the opportunity to copy the tune?
Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

a 'tune' is often very personal. Useless to many. I would never lock one for a variety of reasons-

Keep in mind, a good 'tuner' is often a good programmer, computer tech, mechanic, etc... If the 'tuner' cannot answer questions about the engine/setup, such as oil quality and containment, fuel octane threshold, crank trigger, injector phase, this is main stream info all 'tuners' should know.

Second, lets say you get somebody like that, good with computers, programming, engines, etc... Then it would should also be easy for them to put numbers/config into a tune that looks 'incorrect' in order to hide the real data. For example we can re-scale the map sensor so 10psi is actually 5psi. So anyone looking at the tune would see 5psi worth of timing numbers in the 10psi region. If they copy it without understanding it... then it becomes their problem, shouldn't just copy info without knowing what it does or means. And if they understand it, it should become obvious that something is wrong, or scaled funny, etc... impossible to divulge without extensive analysis.

In other words, good tuners, good with engines/computers, with proprietary information often have ways to hide that info without locking the tune.

Quick Reply: My review of my TERRIBLE experience with Livernois Motorsports