Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 WS6 Stock - P308 at idle

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 WS6 Stock - P308 at idle

I have an '02 WS6 that is throwing a P308 misfire code. I was getting a P300 previously and it was running really rough. Hooked up my BT Android scan tool and saw numerous misfires on #8 and what appeared to be ghost misfires on #7. Took it in, got new plugs and wires. Still misfiring before I even left the parking lot of the repair place. Had them swap coil packs from #8 to #1. Problem went away. Drove it for 2 days of varying distances 5-30 miles - no problems. Tonight I took a chance and drove it 3 hours / 200 miles away. During the trip, not a single hiccup. Got to my hotel, checked in, bag drop, then back out to get food....#8 started acting up again. Seemed ok when moving, but if I was stopped / idling, I could feel it idling rough and hesitating. Got back to the hotel, hooked up my scan tool again, sure enough, it was #8 (pending P308 misfire). When I revved the engine, the misfire counter stopped going up, let off gas, misfires again, though numbers weren't going up fast as it had before I took it in for plugs/wires.

Almost forgot: I also had a P200 error along with the previous P300 before I took it in for service. Now, I am only getting the P308.

I am sitting here in a hotel room kinda freaking out... I am sure the answers are somewhere in here (and I will be searching and reading most of the night I am sure), but I could really use some help...really hoping I haven't bought a lemon (yeah, bought it off a guy about a month ago, so I am a total noob).

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by ChrisM510; 08-29-2016 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added information
Old 09-04-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be a few things. Coil pack could be failing, injector could be dirty. Swap out the coil pack to another cylinder and see if the misfire follows. If not, and the plugs are new, that would all but eliminate ignition. Next I'd go to the injector and swap it out and see if the miss follows. If it's somewhat intermittent, Id be leaning towards spark or ignition related. If it was constant or you eliminate both of those variables, Id do a compression check next.

Quick Reply: 02 WS6 Stock - P308 at idle