Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VVT - Disable in tune only?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VVT - Disable in tune only?

Have read probably every post here regarding VVT, but haven't found an answer...

Engine is a 2015 L96 6.0 with VVT (NO AFM).

It is going into my 72 blazer (rock crawler) in front of an SM465 4-speed manual (Hence, the need to deactivate VVT)

Question: If I just de-activate the VVT in the tune, will the engine still run well?

I understand I will lose the benefits of the VVT, but should I expect any problems, deactivating the VVT in the tune, and just running the engine as-is?

Sometime down the road, I plan to do a VVT delete on the engine, cam/lifter swap, etc, but for now, I just want to run the engine in its stock configuration, and get my truck back in action... This engine has plenty of power, stock, for what I am doing.

Thanks
Rob

Last edited by rwhite692; 08-30-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:32 PM
Teching In

Wow, over 150 views and no feedback....Have I stumped the community?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Disabling it in the Tune will work just fine.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the feedback, thank you clinebarger!
Old 09-01-2016, 02:54 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by rwhite692
Wow, over 150 views and no feedback....Have I stumped the community?
This type of question probably should have been posted in the Tuning section in the first place, but I'll move it for ya.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Perhaps not too many people have done what you are asking. For example the only time I have ever set the VVT cam parameter from one to none from is when someone has actually eliminated all the VVT hardware. No one has ever asked me to set it to none with all the VVT hardware still in place so I can't tell you what it does.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
This type of question probably should have been posted in the Tuning section in the first place, but I'll move it for ya.

Thanks, much appreciated!
Old 09-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Perhaps not too many people have done what you are asking. For example the only time I have ever set the VVT cam parameter from one to none from is when someone has actually eliminated all the VVT hardware. No one has ever asked me to set it to none with all the VVT hardware still in place so I can't tell you what it does.
Thanks, I had figured that there must be some folks out there doing the same thing as I am doing, ie, swapping the L96 into an older car or truck, and not necessarily tearing into a full VVT delete and cam swap, right from the get-go....
Old 09-01-2016, 05:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks, I had figured that there must be some folks out there doing the same thing as I am doing, ie, swapping the L96 into an older car or truck, and not necessarily tearing into a full VVT delete and cam swap, right from the get-go....

We tune a lot of swaps but all of the VVT motors the shops or customers have deleted it before doing the swap. It's much easier to delete it sitting on the engine stand than once its in the vehicle. Not saying it wont work just turning it off in the tune, its just not the norm for sure.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
We tune a lot of swaps but all of the VVT motors the shops or customers have deleted it before doing the swap. It's much easier to delete it sitting on the engine stand than once its in the vehicle. Not saying it wont work just turning it off in the tune, its just not the norm for sure.
Thanks...I get that, for sure. And I would be all over doing a cam swap, if I was really looking to get more power out of this engine, but it really has more than enough for my purposes, dead stock.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I was just posting that to give you idea on why you didnt get alot responses on if it would work.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Engine is a 2015 L96 6.0 with VVT (NO AFM).

Sometime down the road, I plan to do a VVT delete on the engine, cam/lifter swap, etc,Thanks
Rob
If it doesn't have AFM like you said then you won't need to change the lifters just the cam and cam sprocket, Front cover.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
If it doesn't have AFM like you said then you won't need to change the lifters just the cam and cam sprocket, Front cover.
Yes, That is correct, the L96 has no AFM/DOD, just has VVT.

The other reason I'm kind of leery of doing a cam swap, is because I want to maintain low rpm torque; all the cams I am seeing for the LS are more suited to street car applications, ie building power higher up in the RPM range, where I simply won't be running... My truck is geared very low (final drive ratio is 54:1 in first) for climbing, etc. Most of the time, on the trail, I am turning like 1,200 RPM.

I'd hate to go and do the cam swap, and then actually be worse off...

I guess I could swap in a stock 6.0 (non-VVT) cam.

But what if the VVT cam, in the motor now, with VVT deactivated in the tune, is already the equivalent of running a stock non-VVT cam?

It would then be a complete waste of time to do all of that work...
Old 09-06-2016, 11:34 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

I guess I'm trying to figure out why you would turn off VVT on a stock setup? There are no upsides to turning off VVT but plenty of downsides. Not sure what having a manual transmission has to do with the need to disable VVT.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NicD
I guess I'm trying to figure out why you would turn off VVT on a stock setup? There are no upsides to turning off VVT but plenty of downsides. Not sure what having a manual transmission has to do with the need to disable VVT.

VVT won't function without the ECM receiving inputs (among them, engine load) from the transmission control module.

I have no TCM, as I am running an SM465 (manual) transmission.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

We've setup a few tunes here in shop for VVT and manual trans applications. We always warn against it just because we aren't sure if it will ever work. But we've setup a few that way. I've had one guy call back and say everything is working fine. I asked about whether VVT was working and he said he never checked. However, he did say the vehicle was running fine and sounded normal. So I still can't say for certain but I would enable VVT functionality in a manual tune file and go from there.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:40 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

VVT won't function without the ECM receiving inputs (among them, engine load) from the transmission control module.

I have no TCM, as I am running an SM465 (manual) transmission.
The ECM calculates engine load and I've never seen VVT not function before with manual transmission swaps. Granted I've only tuned a few swaps like that but none of them had any problems with VVT functioning correctly.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NicD
The ECM calculates engine load and I've never seen VVT not function before with manual transmission swaps. Granted I've only tuned a few swaps like that but none of them had any problems with VVT functioning correctly.
Thanks, that is good info. The guys at PSI (who supplied my ECM and harness) recommended turning it off in the tune because (they said) that the ECM needed to receive inputs from a TCM in order for VVT to function.

After I get the engine up and running, I plan to experiment with it activated/deactivated, in the tune.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jcvett56
We've setup a few tunes here in shop for VVT and manual trans applications. We always warn against it just because we aren't sure if it will ever work. But we've setup a few that way. I've had one guy call back and say everything is working fine. I asked about whether VVT was working and he said he never checked. However, he did say the vehicle was running fine and sounded normal. So I still can't say for certain but I would enable VVT functionality in a manual tune file and go from there.
Thanks, that is great information and thank you for sharing based on your actual experience with it. The guys at PSI provided a baseline tune for me (with VVT deactivated); once I get the engine up and running I will experiment with it active/inactive.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 530 Likes on 334 Posts

Did you ever get this disabled in the tune only? I'm curious about the same thing. I may be picking up an L92, but not ready to swap cams yet.

Quick Reply: VVT - Disable in tune only?