PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Bank 1 cylinder's getting hot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016 | 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Default Bank 1 cylinder's getting hot?

Hi guys, so just got my 5.3 running last night on the engine stand running megasquirt 2. It will start up and run fine however, after just 30 seconds bank 1 cylinder's, exhaust manifold, head and even that side of the block will be very hot to the touch. Seems normal and all but bank 2 cylinder's will be very cold to the touch? What could be causing this large temperature difference? Motor has btr stage 1 turbo cam, pac 1218 springs, new piston rings, arp hardware etc... Just trying to come up with a reason because it seems to run really well. Thanks in advanced.
Old 10-08-2016 | 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

Nobody? The drivers side head is approximately 50 degrees warmer then the passenger side head after running the engine for about 30-45 seconds. Cam timing and air fuel ratio are the only factors I can think of. Cam was timed just like factory, dot to dot. The plugs were slightly fouled on passenger side so I feel like perhaps there's a fueling issue. I pulled all the driverside plugs and they looked good. Not sure what to do next. Motor runs really well now after making some adjustments.
Old 10-09-2016 | 10:07 AM
Launching!

Swap the injectors from one bank to the other and see if the issue follows.
Old 10-09-2016 | 10:31 AM
Launching!

Agreed. Saw the exact same thing a couple of times. An injector failed will cause your symptoms. Swap the problem cylinder and see if the problem follows. Also, put a scanner on it and log misfires (history and current). That'll give you more to go on. I'm not familiar at all with Megasquirt (unfortunately), but it may do this for you in the scans.
Old 10-09-2016 | 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

That's a good idea, with megasquirt I can test the injectors on each bank and they all are clicking just fine. I'm going to swap everything and see if the issue follows. I also feel like these injectors are larger then 24 lb/hr. They are the mini Delphi style injectors black and short with no part numbers on them. I've had to take quite a bit of fuel out of the tune,
Old 10-09-2016 | 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

So I was able to get out to the garage and figure out what was wrong. I took all the plugs out and did a spark test in megasquirt and realized I had wired bank 2 coils wrong so they weren't firing at the correct time. I'm running wasted spark and batch fire injection so two coils have to fire at the same time and I just had them mixed up on bank 2. So I fixed that and now she actually runs and sounds correct now. And the engine is equally hot. Now I have to work on getting this idle down haha

Quick Reply: Bank 1 cylinder's getting hot?