PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self tuning EFI or TBI on L92/LQ4 build - Would like to hear your suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Self tuning EFI or TBI on L92/LQ4 build - Would like to hear your suggestions

Hi all,

I've built an lq4 with milled l92 heads and a texas speed 225/230/110 camshaft. I originally was planning on carbeurating this engine but I am starting to want to go the EFI route. I am looking into options aside from the usual GM intake manifold and tuning software because of the cost of the tuning software. I am very electro-mechanically inclined and know I could learn to tune a car (I build different control systems as a career), however, I do not want to pay for a dyno everytime I want to tune the car, and I dont like the idea of tuning it on the street. Because of this, I have been looking into some of the "self-tuning" EFI systems that would bolt onto a carb'd manifold. Here are my questions.

1. Are there any self-tuning EFI systems which I can run on an LS engine ? The only one that I see that will work is the holley terminator system.

2. What is the self-tuning capability actually capable of ? Does anyone have experience with one of these systems on a cammed LS?

I totally see the power of tuning software with a boosted car, but with a pretty near stock setup like mine I feel like a self-tuning system could handle it easily. I know my car should make in the mid 500's for power and that'll be all it will ever see. The car is a 1973 camaro, Tex racing T-10 (essentially a jericho but super T10 equivalent), 3:08 rear gear (changing to 373's within a year). I appreciate your input. The cost of a TBI system vs. a carb'd setup is actually pretty close so that's why I'm thinking of it. If there was a $1000-1500 system it would fit my budget perfectly.

This car is not a daily driver, it's a weekend warrior. I understand the power of multi port fuel injection but at the same time I think a throttle body on an aftermarket manifold could still help me make great power. Thank you much
Old 10-10-2016, 06:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Why use a carb intake? Get OEM EFI hardware and add the Holley HP system for LS engines. They make one for a 24x tooth Gen 3 engine. By going with a TBI you are loosing all the benefits of a multipoint sequential EFI system.

I have a Holley Dominator on the Cougar and it works very well. The self-tuning is only for the base fuel map. Everything else still needs to be tuned for your particular combination. I've spent hours on drivability, idle and spark tuning.

Andrew
Old 10-11-2016, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you.

I tend to agree with you and have finally committed to using an ls3 style intake.

Quick Reply: Self tuning EFI or TBI on L92/LQ4 build - Would like to hear your suggestions