PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard to start '06 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2016, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start '06 GTO

Recently installed a 5.3L into my '06 GTO. With installing a bigger cam 229/236 @.050. Car has ls6 intake with ls6 injectors/fuel rail. Timing cover has been changed to front cover. It's a 24x 1x set up as needed.

Took car to tuner and got it somewhat tuned. He had "advanced timing 32°" but said the cam/ crank signals aren't matching correctly. Before this tune, car started almost instantly every time.
Now after tune it's very hard to start. Sometimes it starts instantly, sometimes 3+ cranks. After it starts it's amazing with very little issue.
Scanner pulling miss fire codes and cam code.
Swaped cam sensor and crank sensor. Checked voltage off both sensors and their getting feed back and a 5v signal.
Any tips on what to check or is it probably in tune? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached picture of full cam stats
Old 11-04-2016, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 500 Likes on 350 Posts

Some "tuners" have a basic list of "tunes" that they barely modify to match customer cars. I would bet that the problem is a random artifact of the base "tune" he went with to start working on your car. You said the car started fine, was tuned, and now it doesn't. Barring some really odd coincidence, the tune IS the problem.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the car has a cam position sensor code it may be the cause of the hard start. The engine doesn't need the cam signal to run but it causes hard starting.
It may be something as simple as a damaged connector. Any competent tuner/mechanic can diagnose it before you throw more parts at it.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have actually changed connectors and ohm'd connectors back to PCM to verify- I contacTed another tuner in Kansas City that gave me basically same feedback as gametech saying parameters are off. I'm drive to them for them to give it a go. I appreciate the feedback. Will update with their findings.

Quick Reply: Hard to start '06 GTO